PDA

View Full Version : Nuts & Bolts

Gordon Hunter
Jan 22nd, 2003, 17:22
Hi there,

I'm slowly getting to the putting back together stage on my '67 1800 project. I want to fit stainless steel nuts and bolts where possible for best protection against corrosion. I had a friend who got ripped off through a mail order company for a 'set' for his Spitfire and am wary of the same happening. Does anybody have any advice or recommendations on this subject?

Many thanks,

Gordon Hunter

Mike Arnold
Jan 24th, 2003, 21:54
When I did some (bodged) restoration on my 122 many years ago I used s/s nuts and bolts and although the other work that I did slowly disintegrated those s/s nuts and bolts were wonderful. You could remove them without bolt splitters and without damage to the surroundings.

Nearly all the threads in the 120/1800s are UNC (unified national coarse) which was phased out in the 70s. I know of two places who supply them. Firstly, Williams Bros in Sheffield (where I used to live) and now Lightning Spares in Sale (where I now live).

If you are "down south", sorry. There is bound to be somewhere but I do not know where.

All the best.

The Saint
Mar 25th, 2003, 20:34
Hi Gordon,

There's shop very near where I live called "The Nut and Bolt Store",
they have a very comprehensive selection of stainless hardware. Check out their website www.namrick.co.uk

Regards

Alex