PDA

View Full Version : General: - Help save Mabel?

minesa240x3
Sep 13th, 2010, 22:07
Hi all just popped in here to say how sad it is to see Mable up for sale on ebay?
I was casually looking at volvos in general when I came across the sale of Mabel the amazon.A very sad story when read.Check out the "ask the seller a question".
It hasn't reached much of a price yet and only a short time left as well.

I'm sure with all it's history you folks here know all about this particulare car I just had to make sure you all knew.

Regards Brian.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-AMAZON-122-S-BLUE-/270631369293?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f02e2fa4d

minesa240x3
Sep 15th, 2010, 00:44
AH well 74 views and no replies?
The seller has updated the listing and it looks to be an easier resto after all.
I am in no way connected to this car or the seller but as a volvo lover I can't help thinking it deserved a mention.
Regards Brian (about eleven hours to go now)

woodman
Sep 15th, 2010, 22:37
It's a tricky one, isn't it? A car has a whole bunch of sentimental value to one person, but in reality the next buyer starts from scratch. I hate to admit it but I started building up a sentimental attachment to my Amo well before I bought it, having seen it on ebay and seeing pictures and description of a car I could see myself owning. Now that I own it, and have put a lot of love and money into making it better than it was, I look at Mabel and think, 'Well, yep, there's someone's life wrapped up in this car, and it means so much to them, but the car isn't as nice as mine and I don't really have any interest in the car, so there's no point my worrying about it.'

I've sent three cars I've loved to the scrappers, and a little bit of me still hurts about it, but they were tired cars and I had my fun out of them, and I couldn't have expected anyone else to take them on and love them when they were that tired. A really hard thing about owning old cars is knowing that, when push comes to shove, they're lumps of metal, which rot away and wear out, unless you spend a lifetime of love and money on them.

I hope someone wants to love Mabel, but I don't think we should feel collectively responsible if it doesn't.

minesa240x3
Sep 16th, 2010, 22:16
Well someone really liked mabel £671,I really hope the new owner has a nice life living with her.Maybe someone here bought it?

I have had to part with a few in my time as well but I have never owned one for so long or one that belonged to a family member,Most of mine are bargain basement but I always miss them when there gone.
Anyway heres to the new owner.
Thanks Brian.