PDA

View Full Version : D5 200 running in......

262coupe
Dec 9th, 2010, 08:17
I`ve scoured the manual but see no mention of running in other than don't tow with it for the first 1000km....... any thoughts? I will be taking the safe option and running it in very gently anyway but just curious as to what others thought. I note too in the manual a D3 engine option is available on the xc90 although perhaps not in the uk is that a new development?

Lycanthrope
Dec 9th, 2010, 09:06
No idea on the running-in, but over here in Belgium the D3 is the 163hp FWD engine.

Clan
Dec 9th, 2010, 09:59
just drive it normaly , the rpm isnt going to go much over 2000 - 3000 rpm so no problem . Racing engines are run in with a few fast laps around the circuit .. driving very gently probably wont do a succcesful job , so just drive normaly ..
the only thing not to do is to use full throttle at low rpm labouring up hills OR flat out at max rpm for sustained periods .

drpepper
Dec 9th, 2010, 11:22
I`ve scoured the manual but see no mention of running in other than don't tow with it for the first 1000km....... any thoughts? I will be taking the safe option and running it in very gently anyway but just curious as to what others thought. I note too in the manual a D3 engine option is available on the xc90 although perhaps not in the uk is that a new development?

I think the recommendation with modern engines/gearboxes is to 'run in' using a variety of driving styles from granny out on a Sunday to hooded youth who's stolen it! Helps for the engine to be used at all points of the rev range etc.