PDA

View Full Version : Snow chains are good, until...

monkeh
Dec 21st, 2010, 19:30
SMK740T Gave me some chains a few years ago, I actually used them last night trying to tackle a hill, PHWOAR! What a piece of kit. Clunk and proper traction, Until I had to reverse- A stray chain wrapped around the back axle, and sliced a flexi hose to the metal braiding... B*****ks!
I dont care that they are illegal, at this present time- with no gritters, plows about, they got me home- Only cost me £16... (price of a flexi) and maybe a a bit of underseal!
I done know how to put the chains on properly, so I think I asked for it to be honest, There was the alternative, Blowtorch on the road to melt the ice for a suitable run up, At least the neighbours had some entertainment watching a RWD volvo going sideways up the hill.
Snow hit 7" round by me...

Dear Santa, One locking rear diff please.

Michael J
Dec 21st, 2010, 20:40
I dont care that they are illegal, at this present time- with no gritters, plows about, they got me home- ...

They aren't illegal.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/seasonal/winter-advice-snow-chains.html
When to use chains

You should only consider using snow chains where the road surface is covered in a protective layer of compacted snow/ice.

If you try to use chains on a road that has been cleared of snow you risk damage to the road and to the vehicle.

With the UK policy of gritting and clearing major roads this means that you will almost certainly have to remove and refit chains several times during a journey.

If you have fitted chains, stop and remove them as soon as you reach a gritted/cleared road – choose a safe place, preferably on level ground and consider wearing a reflective jacket for improved visibility.

Westyman
Dec 21st, 2010, 20:40
The 940 Wentworth I had several years ago had locking diff and was good for pulling the caravan on muddy sites; at least you had 2WD in poor conditions instead of noWD with conventional diff. Last 3 Volvos have been AWD for same reason as above.

ahal
Dec 21st, 2010, 20:55
Not wishing to hijack the original thread, but like the OP I'm a bit in the dark about fitting them. I got a pair today ... they don't have any flexible ring or that sort of thing, you just lay them out in front of the car and drive on. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually suss the fitting, but ...

The wheels on my 440 are 14 inch, and the chains have to be cut to size. Now I was wondering if it'd be seriously unwise to grab the identical spare tyre (as in, not fitted to a rim) that's currently in the shed and just do my sizing in the warmth of the kitchen rather than fumbling around in the snow?

It says on the box to drive the car 1/2 a mile before fitting, but that's kind of out as I'm half way up a hill pointed the 'wrong' way! Regarding tightness of fit, I currently have Firestone allweather tyres on ... if at some point in the future I switch to Pirelli P6's or something is a slight reduction in tyrewall going to cause me a problem? Is there that little in it?

Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

940_Turbo
Dec 21st, 2010, 21:06
I've lost count of the number of miles I've done with RWD Volvos and Mercs in the snow through Europe. I've tackled mountain passes, Autobahns and back roads. I always carry snow chains, a good set, with proper tensioners and I know how to fit them, yet I've never used them.

Personally I really don't want to be crouching next to my car with other people slithering about. Get a decent set of winter tyres. It is far safer and more effective.

ahal
Dec 21st, 2010, 22:42
Yes the chains can be hazardous to put on alright, mind you I have a sufficiently safe place to fit them and good hearing :p

Gazdok
Dec 22nd, 2010, 17:50
Not wishing to hijack the original thread, but like the OP I'm a bit in the dark about fitting them. I got a pair today ... they don't have any flexible ring or that sort of thing, you just lay them out in front of the car and drive on. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually suss the fitting, but ...

The wheels on my 440 are 14 inch, and the chains have to be cut to size. Now I was wondering if it'd be seriously unwise to grab the identical spare tyre (as in, not fitted to a rim) that's currently in the shed and just do my sizing in the warmth of the kitchen rather than fumbling around in the snow?

It says on the box to drive the car 1/2 a mile before fitting, but that's kind of out as I'm half way up a hill pointed the 'wrong' way! Regarding tightness of fit, I currently have Firestone allweather tyres on ... if at some point in the future I switch to Pirelli P6's or something is a slight reduction in tyrewall going to cause me a problem? Is there that little in it?

Thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.

I cannot really imagine what your chains look like. Post some pictures with them spread out.
Generally it is a good idea to "practice" either with your spare or on your car in the dry!!!

Some years ago I was on a skiing holiday in Norway. We had hired a lovely logcabin up a hill.
One evening after skiing a VW golf was fishtailing up the hill far ahead. Then they stopped and got out. I was there with friends from Germany and we were joking about the Brits - unprepared as usual. We went past them and noticed that they were studying the instructions of their snow chains.
They did not have a clue.
They were in their 50ies in inappropriate clothes for weather, no idea and it was bloody cold.
I had put chains on before and was not familiar with their model but it still took 15 min in the cold and dark with some knowledge to put theirs on.

I do not know why it says to drive 1/2 mile and then put them on. Usually you put them on when you need them.
Lay them out in front of the wheel. The old models without a somewhat rigid ring are a pain to put on, the ring chains are much easier to handle.
There are usually a couple of locks and a thinner tension chain to go over the front. One of the locks disappears behind the tyre, one sits in front and the tension chain ensure there is not too much play in the system.
THEN you drive your 1/2 mile and stop to check the chain and if necessary tighten it again.

I keep a pair of leather rigger gloves in with the chains because it is dirty and cold when you put them on.

monkeh
Dec 22nd, 2010, 21:42
Got the hose today, I need a flared spanner, so a trip to hellfrauds to get one :(
As for installing them, I did lay them out, but one tensioner chain was longer than the other and God knows how it wound up on the inside to wrap around the axle, When Im in a better mood, Ill see if I can repair it.

ahal
Dec 23rd, 2010, 01:46
Many thanks Gazdok. The ones I bought are Campbell Chains ... American ... basically they're 2 chain 'ladders'. I was going to go for the more polished looking ones in a carry case but the guy in the motor factor's told me the ones I bought, while only coming in a fairly 1970's looking cardboard box, were far better.

I have the spare out but I can't find the bloody tie for the excess chain. Either it's missing from the box, or as I suspect they're talking about something already attached to the chains ...

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Regards,

Tony.

Gazdok
Dec 23rd, 2010, 12:35
Hello Tony,
I don't think I am any help with those type of chains.

Even my very old and very first were more "modern" than those.
If fitted properly your chains may be good too, but looking at modern chains they are ready made for a range of wheel and tyre sizes.
Fitting will be much easier. You have to drive onto one chain first, lock it and then do the other. I don't think your chains have the thinner chain going over the hub to tighten the chains. So there will be more slack in the system if it is not "cut" to the correct length.
It does work that way but it is more difficult if you do not have the practice.

Also modern chains have gone away from the ladder structure and use a Y- or X-pattern to give more road holding capability when cornering.

If I were you I would look on eBay and get an unused pair from someone who has traded up in wheel size and needs to get rid of theirs.

monkeh
Dec 23rd, 2010, 17:13
Bought the flared spanner today, and still rounded the bloody copper pipe nut off... B***ER!
The saga continues...

HeliFella
Dec 23rd, 2010, 17:49
I'd be tempted to admit defeat and plonk them on Ebay, with the weather how it is at the mo someone would be keen to get a deal.

Then buy some autosocks as they look to be far easier to fit safely, quickly without any risk of damaging your car anymore.

ahal
Dec 25th, 2010, 17:09
I got to use the snowchains a few nights ago ... limited use really. An absolute bugger to fit (as Gazdok correctly states, the old - fashioned type). I did get home on them, but not before one fell off; thankfully it didn't do any damage. Having said that, in very deep snow I do think they could be of use, so I'm not going to ditch them just yet! The winters here in Ireland - as per the U.K. I gather - are getting far more severe, with record low temperatures almost every night. As if the economic news wasn't bad enough! :p

I did invest in the snow tyres for the front of my 440 eventually. I had been avoiding the outlay but eventually decided to bite the bullet. Yes, they are fantastic. I live half way up a hill, and the drill is get 2/3 the way up, reverse into a friendly driveway, and tootle down and park outside my house (so's the car is 'nose down' the hill)

Last night a coal truck was coming up as I reached the desired point up the hill and I knew if it had to stop it'd never get going again so I did a very fast 3 point turn and drove down, parking outside my house as normal. I forgot about the ice for a second - never to be recommended I'll admit - but I sure got away with it, thanks to the snow tyres! And the lorry didn't have to stop :)

Regards,

Tony.

monkeh
Dec 25th, 2010, 23:07
I'd be tempted to admit defeat and plonk them on Ebay, with the weather how it is at the mo someone would be keen to get a deal.

Then buy some autosocks as they look to be far easier to fit safely, quickly without any risk of damaging your car anymore.

One of them is now u/s, So itll have to be repaired, In their current condition, Its not even worth the listing fee. I can repair them, and I think 'Lesson learnt' Read proper instuctions before using them, Ill have to try these snow socks though.

Gazdok
Dec 26th, 2010, 15:58
..... - as per the U.K. I gather - are getting far more severe, with record low temperatures almost every night. As if the economic news wasn't bad enough! :p

I did invest in the snow tyres for the front of my 440 eventually. I had been avoiding the outlay but eventually decided to bite the bullet. Yes, they are fantastic. I live half way up a hill.....

..... I forgot about the ice for a second - never to be recommended I'll admit - but I sure got away with it, thanks to the snow tyres! And the lorry didn't have to stop :)

Regards,

Tony.

If you get winter tyres you will pay more initially, BUT ...

1) IF you use them for 4 - 5 months / year that means your summer tyres will get an extra 4 - 5 months life / year added.
You are NOT paying for your winter tyres on top of your summer tyres.

2) As you stated you will have a much safer drive in the winter compared to summer tyres on snow and ice.
It does not mean you will master everything because there are still lots of other little idiots who think " Oh yes I can " and if it snows often they cannot!!
So you are stuck behind them.

3) Insurance companies might turn round to you in case of an accident on snow if you are clearly negligent slip-sliding on snow and ice with summer tyres.

If you stick to chains and socks they will only give you very limited help.

With chains you should not go faster than 30 MpH, avoid hard acceleration and emergency brakes because they wear extremely quick and might brake and cause more damage.
In their favour ,with chains you will be able to get through more and looser snow than with winter tyres alone.

Socks will wear quick and are more expensive but easier to put on.

Damage2011
Jun 16th, 2011, 23:28
Yep, they are truely ancient. Laying them out and driving onto them was a nightmare. I used to carry a trolley jack, whip up the wheel put it on and hey presto! The new style of chains are much better, they also have a diamond pattern over the tyre surface which gives much better grip than the horizontal pattern that you have, Buy a new pair!