PDA

View Full Version : Engine: D5: - ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT - Loss of Power - Stalling

darren.m
Jan 31st, 2011, 18:06
ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT - Loss of Power - Stalling - Limp Home Mode – Hunting - Hesitation

Volvo S60 2003 D5 Auto – 63K

Short answer for me - CHANGE FUEL FILTER - Long answer.... carry on reading.

Hi, I wanted to let you know of my experience after getting the solution to my problem through the forums. Over a period (Jan 2011) of 4 days covering only about 30 miles my S60 2003 D5 Auto at 63K developed a loss of power during acceleration, this was immediately followed by the warning on the dash board saying engine system service urgent, the car would only give limited revs and hence limited speed. Once I could safely stop the car (about 1 mile) I turned the ignition off and back on. Fault and warning disappeared. However, it was not long before the problem was back. It grew more frequent and ended up with the car stalling over 30 times during a 10 mile journey.

I had a look on the forums and there were many suggestions pointing towards a blocked fuel filter, faulty mass air flow meter, broken or damaged vacuum hose/s, accelerator controller fault, leaking fuel transfer pump and damaged turbo etc.

The closest to my problem suggested that the fix might be the fuel filter. What I needed to know was the fault code. If the fault code "P0094 Fuel System Leak Detected" was logged then it was highly likely that the fuel filter may be to blame. Being a low cost item I thought I would give that a go before sending the car to a dealer. I also had a check over of the fuel and vacuum hoses for leaks but I found nothing.

I called the AA who came out and read the code. Fortunately for me, sure enough the code logged was "P0094 Fuel System Leak Detected". I bought a replacement fuel filter, jacked the car up, supported it and changed the fuel filter which took 45 minutes from tools out to tools away.

After a 10 mile test drive the car is now fine. Every mile I do gives me more confidence the problem is now sorted. The filter was a little over £12 so luckily not an expensive job.

I didn’t think I would be this lucky and was expecting a huge bill, but on this occasion I think someone was looking after me!

If the problem comes back I will re-post and let you know I’ve given you duff gen, but for now its fingers confidently crossed.

I hope this post helps anyone with a similar problem and it would be nice to know if it does by you posting a reply. Many thanks for reading and good luck.

Darren

chopper_harris
Jan 31st, 2011, 20:18
ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT - Loss of Power - Stalling - Limp Home Mode – Hunting - Hesitation

The closest to my problem suggested that the fix might be the fuel filter. What I needed to know was the fault code. If the fault code "P0094 Fuel System Leak Detected" was logged then it was highly likely that the fuel filter may be to blame.

I didn’t think I would be this lucky and was expecting a huge bill, but on this occasion I think someone was looking after me!

Nice job - reading the FAQ and using the search button before posting yet another fuel filter related item.

Enjoy the £150 you have saved by not visiting the local stealer. :natur008:

kaferboy
Mar 10th, 2011, 14:55
Well I never, just come on to research this having already had it on a diagnostic where my car (a 52 S60 D5 SE on 119k miles) also showed a fuel leak... fingers crossed this will cure mine too!

Thanks for posting!

Brendan W
Mar 10th, 2011, 15:09
Darren - did you happen to notice the date on the old filter. mm/yy iirc

pgoldy
Dec 10th, 2011, 22:37
I would like to thank darren.m for the original post.

My car had similar symptoms and despite garages dismissing the fuel filter as a cause I had it changed. Original one had collapsed and all seems good with the new one.

Great advice received from many forum members which is much appreciated.

If you have similar trouble then consider the fuel filter change first. Cost me £26 from a dealer. Worth the gamble even if it wasn't the cure as it is a serviceable item anyway.

thegeneral
Dec 17th, 2011, 20:31
hi i have the same problem my 2003 v70 flashes up engine sysyem service urgent and goes into limp mode but sometimes it also cuts out but restarts straight away and goes fine but its getting more frequent.. i had no problems until i used some diesel that was stored in a jack i had and it may have been a little dirty but thought it may be ok .. and problem seem to started just after that..any ideas perhaps hoping it may be the fuel filter.. also on tickover the engine note changes every 10 seconds or so to a more heavy sort of under load chatter then reverts back to normal.. any ideas guys im flummoxed..thanks in advance

ChrisCdotcodotuk
Dec 17th, 2011, 20:43
Have you had the code read?

I had a similar problem in an old car where I let it get too low on fuel and the crud caked the fuel filter.

I didn't realise and £130 later I had a new fuel filter (£30) and £100 labour - to read the code and to laugh at me behind my back.

That was at a ford garage.

thegeneral
Dec 23rd, 2011, 01:16
just to update here turns out the fuel filter was at fault.. simply led down by the back wheel unscrewed the old one fitted the new one which w3as the aliminium screwtype that cost 17 pounds trade.. and few turns of the key and way to go and no problems and done 100 mile ..so thansk to all the help here these forums are are really a godsend..

D5meister
Aug 30th, 2012, 11:57
My 03 plate - 131k miles did this power loss and same error message this morning accellerating in 3rd up a slip to Join an A road.

It didn stall - but I turned it off and back on - error was gone.

Finished journey as usual.

I will get a filter - is there only one type - can a fool do it.

I will re-post in a month or so with news good or bad.

My chassis No is 286030 what filter is that? Paper, In line or Cannisiter. Engine code D5244T
S

spacewarp
Dec 6th, 2012, 14:40
Darren, many thanks for your post. I had the same error msg popping up two days after running very low on fuel. Engine cut off three times, and I had to take the car to a local dealer in Germany. Fortunately, I did a quick research in the forum and found your post. I instructed the guys to read the error code and change the fuel filter - which they did. Needless to say this cured the problem. However, the local dealer charged me 140€ for replacing the filter and topping up the oil... Just wondering what the price tag would have been without giving clear instructions!

pb1jb1
Dec 9th, 2012, 14:34
Thank you for this, as this is what is happening to mine now, it has been doing this for a fair few months now. Just had a service as well but its still doing it.
I will have to review how i fuel up as I always wait till the light comes on before i fill up. I think ill fill up sooner fm now on.

I get a fuel filter and replace. Ill update in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

Rossi-fan
Dec 9th, 2012, 14:57
If you always like plenty of fuel in your cars, why not use 1/2 full as being empty.

pb1jb1
Dec 14th, 2012, 16:47
Ive had my codes read and it showed P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit high

looks like a sensor needs changing. Looks like it will cost a few hundred quid plus VAT

tom1ish
Dec 16th, 2012, 22:00
Hi all,

I am new to this site, hence first post and a recent new purchase of my second car being a V70 03(52) D5 with 125,000 miles.

This Thursday was the Volvo's long drive test to Chester from plymouth and back again. All together my V70 covered very nearly 600 miles, on one tank. However after just 37 miles (using cruise control before) , traveling up Haldon Hill i realised that there was no acceleration dispite my foot was down. The first thing i looked at was the temperature, that was fine, however the computer said 1 message, and that was "Engine System Service Urgent" and with that the yellow !!! mark was illuminated. My heart droped... Speed was limited at 40 and there was nothing i could do. I stopped at the nearest servises as there was no hard shoulder then turned the enging off. Waited a little bit and then fired perfectly with no problem or warning lights. Then continued on my journy and with nearly 600 miles down the line... Nothing!!!!

The V70 was used to pop into town once whilst in Chester but the journy back to plymouth was fault less.

After reading the origional post. Do feel beter that im not going to get a big bill already, but very great full for the information.

Thanks so much?

Tom

pb1jb1
Dec 17th, 2012, 08:52
Hi Tom

Ive had my Volvo 2 years now. Ive only ever had the engine warning light on a 3 times.
The 1st was due to the intercooler (loads of post about that around)
The 2nd was a misery. Again I think it was a main headlight bulb blew, coupled with me boosting it was the intercooler again. Got in a muddle the system did I think.
These were both orange errors messages.
The red one im getting now is due to code P0193 the is a faulty sensor. Reading up on this sensor it seems to be a common fault on all makes and models of cars so it just one of those things.

Regards the D5 is a great engine I love it. Hope you enjoy yours.

Paul

Ill update later regards the sensor replacement and if it solves the engine warning light im having.

tom1ish
Dec 19th, 2012, 21:31
Lovely thanks Paul,

Yes the red !triangle! ( Sorry not yellow from my first post) To scary for me as i'd only covered about 50 miles All together when it happend. Thanks for the possible future post in progress, the only thing that i worry about is what happens if the sensor is not lying!!!

Merry Christmas

Tom

Ps, you dont know any thing about alarms do you???

pb1jb1
Dec 20th, 2012, 03:31
Alarms, No sorry Tom

Ive posted a new thread regards Error P0193

Merry Christmas to you as well
Paul

tom1ish
Jan 27th, 2013, 23:36
Happy new year all,

Just a quick one, the message came on today for the second time with yellow '!'.
But enging off and on again..... perfect.

Tom

Orwelian
Jan 30th, 2013, 19:53
Thanks to everyone for the info, filled up with a near full tank of diesel last Wednesday, had just 100 miles left in the tank before the fill, following day all the same symptoms and 'Engine System Service Urgent' message came up, engine cut out, restart etc etc, got it home. Checked on the forum, Fuel filter fitted and all ok.....this is the first time the car has let me down since new! 2003 D5 SE V70... 124000 on the clock it has been the best Volvo I have ever had and runs like a dream ave mid 50 mpg!

tom1ish
Jan 30th, 2013, 22:53
Hi Orwelian,

Thats really interesting, as our cars are practically the same. The only change i had to my story was, the first time my message came up was with a fully brimmed tank that took us 600 miles up and back to chester. Little question, fuel filter expensive? And how long/milage since change filter and no message??

D5 Auto purrrrrrrr-fect!!

Tom

Max Thurgood
Feb 1st, 2013, 08:03

Volvo S60 2003 D5 Auto – 63K

Short answer for me - CHANGE FUEL FILTER - Long answer.... carry on reading.

Hi, I wanted to let you know of my experience after getting the solution to my problem through the forums. Over a period (Jan 2011) of 4 days covering only about 30 miles my S60 2003 D5 Auto at 63K developed a loss of power during acceleration, this was immediately followed by the warning on the dash board saying engine system service urgent, the car would only give limited revs and hence limited speed. Once I could safely stop the car (about 1 mile) I turned the ignition off and back on. Fault and warning disappeared. However, it was not long before the problem was back. It grew more frequent and ended up with the car stalling over 30 times during a 10 mile journey.

I had a look on the forums and there were many suggestions pointing towards a blocked fuel filter, faulty mass air flow meter, broken or damaged vacuum hose/s, accelerator controller fault, leaking fuel transfer pump and damaged turbo etc.

The closest to my problem suggested that the fix might be the fuel filter. What I needed to know was the fault code. If the fault code "P0094 Fuel System Leak Detected" was logged then it was highly likely that the fuel filter may be to blame. Being a low cost item I thought I would give that a go before sending the car to a dealer. I also had a check over of the fuel and vacuum hoses for leaks but I found nothing.

I called the AA who came out and read the code. Fortunately for me, sure enough the code logged was "P0094 Fuel System Leak Detected". I bought a replacement fuel filter, jacked the car up, supported it and changed the fuel filter which took 45 minutes from tools out to tools away.

After a 10 mile test drive the car is now fine. Every mile I do gives me more confidence the problem is now sorted. The filter was a little over £12 so luckily not an expensive job.

If the problem comes back I will re-post and let you know I’ve given you duff gen, but for now its fingers confidently crossed.

I hope this post helps anyone with a similar problem and it would be nice to know if it does by you posting a reply. Many thanks for reading and good luck.

Darren
Darren thanks a lot
I have the same issue and was told by a dealer it's the Fuel pump quoting me £600-£800
I will certainly be changing the fuel filter first and having everything crossed

Norfolk Jim
Feb 8th, 2013, 14:49
Just had similar experience with my 54 Reg V70 D5 geartronic. Filled up the other day to near brim and have only done about 30 miles in bad weather all fine. Car has sat for 3 days. Went out this morning and things seemed fine - engine was warming up but it felt a little odd and thought it could be due to really cold snowy weather.......................out onto Norwich bypass and the car slowly accelerated but didn't seem to want to pull and stay in 5th and then started to sort of slightly hesitate/hunt along (as if something was holding it and trying to pull back) and then message appeared ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT and red triangle came on. Slowed for junction and it sat there ticking over slightly off and then carried on to Wymondham (Not far) still hesitating at about 60.

Wife delivered her files etc so switched engine off and had quick scout round under bonnet. Engine not too hot, levels ok, oil fine and temp gauge middle. All seemed as it should with no funny smells.

Restarted engine as soon as wife appeared and drove home as if nothing had happened.

Sadly I don't have a code reader - I have VIDA software and top notch laptop.

Does this seem like fuel filter? What worries me is others have had an orange triangle but mine showed red. Car has been fine but computer showed 100 miles to empty before putting in £70 shell.

If it sound filter my garage chap could do that quickly tomorrow for me. Part is around £20

Norfolk Jim
Feb 12th, 2013, 10:15
Well outcome was good. Genuine Volvo insert £29.99 +VAT and my chap charged £5 to fit as so quick to do.

Original looked like been in for a while.

Main dealer said they had a run on them recently and wondered about waxing of fuel in -13 temps and then condensation???? They even had to replace some only fitted last autumn.

tykey
Feb 12th, 2013, 12:41
About 3 years ago, mine did exactly the same, fitted a new fuel filter and problem solved.

In the recent very cold/snowy weather, the problem returned, but switching opff and restarting always solved the problem, and it only did it once when cold.

Now it's relatively warmer, the problem disappeared. So I'm just thinking some water (in the fuel filter?) is freezing up. I'm not aware of a separate water trap, but I might be wrong.

As an aside, when I bought the car about 4 years ago the message screen was taped over. It was an ex fleet car, and the driver obviously got fed up with all the messages which appear, then go away again for no apparent reason.

Norfolk Jim
Feb 12th, 2013, 15:15
He said something about condensation in fuel lines often ends up in filter container and when drained removes it. All I know is my filter was pretty clogged and yet still getting mid 50's on a run.

Still Thursday at main dealers we'll see what updates it needs as looks like hasn't been on VIDA for perhaps 4 years as seems the independent who service this for last 4 years didn't have VIDA hook up but just used the Volvo servicing schedule for correct oil, filters etc but no updates.........................

It will either be a pleasant surprise or another sigh.........:( They do think there is an outstanding gearbox software upgrade which would be good.

Caveman107
Feb 17th, 2013, 15:49
Had all the faults you mentioned but didn't need to change the fuel filter to fix it, I had all the same symptoms and fault codes, read the following I posted elsewhere, may also help.

Came on the site to pick up some tips in a mission to get the Girlfriend's S80 D5 back on the road, been quoted £750 to replace the EGR that was diagnosed as the fault.

Then went to a Breakers site to get a replacement and after they had shipped the Vacuum Pump by mistake, I was starting to think I was jinxed.

As it was the weekend, I stripped it out the Engine Bay to get at the EGR valve, seriously a lot easier to take more out than less. Once the valve was out found it totally clogged up with carbon particles and sticking badly. Used Carb Cleaner and an old toothbrush, left it soaking overnight and it came up like new, so did the EGR cooler.

When putting it back I must have knocked the Vacuum pipe out of one of the sensors/switches (attached to the side of the air filter box), because as soon as it started up, it seemed to run okay, but kept cutting out and when it did start, it would only run at the reduced revs, it had indicated previously, the fault sensor, threw up 3 faults, Turbo Waste Gate Sensor fault, Low Fuel Pressure and Fuel Leak (small)

After much scratching of head, had another long look and traced the vacuum pipe all the way from the Turbo Solenoid and found it had come out must have done it whilst removing the air filter box.

Suffice it to say once I rectified the fault, the car is now running better than ever before, pulling and revving like a train.

Hopefully this little tale may help others, as all it cost was two cans of Carb Cleaner and my time and reinforces the advice of checking you have put things back together properly.

tom1ish
Feb 22nd, 2013, 20:30
Hi, just going to add the near final part of my engine system service urgent.

Today if you have read my two other posts will see that i have had this message but no other problems, well today was the day of reckoning.

Engine cut out twice on a £83 tank of diesel, and engine message happening many times. Another interesting issue is a pulsing sound and feel from engine while driving up hills/on acceleration. Was fairly consistent on the limp and nervous way home, as i was driving very slowly and light with the right foot but after i accelerated harder what happened...... Cut out.

So, the aa man came out tonight who was very very intelligent and genuinely knew his stuff then went about his diagnostics business, looked at the fuel filter, fairly old but clean, then opened the bonnet, the short story is that after a live reading of pressures the fault was to be with an injector or fuel pump. Both of which are going to be rather expensive not only to replace, but just test.

So there it is, after just thinking all those weeks ago that the sensor was being silly, it might of actually been sensing a problem.

Hope this helps some one else.
(2002 52 V70 D5 auto)

Cheers

Tom

tom1ish
Mar 26th, 2013, 21:28
Now, the fuel filter has been changed, and all is perfect. Ahhh!

electrocoolman
Mar 27th, 2013, 14:02
Hi Darren,
Many thanks for your post.
Just had exactly the same problems on my 2003 V70 D5. Lots of hesitation and varying engine revs when pulling away and under load, but no problems when stationary and able to rev freely.
Engine system message appeared, no codes, but Message would clear with ign off cycle.
New fuel filter cured problem. Incidentally had only previously filled up (nothing but Shell) and was thinking that I'd got dud fuel.
Also temperatures have been holding about zero, so wondered if it might be waxing or possibly linked to higher %s of bio causing low temperature sensitivity.
ECM.

festralbloke
Mar 21st, 2014, 23:45
This happened to me on my S60 D5 2004 model. I believe it was 'overboost' from the turbo, which put the car into limp mode. Switching off and on the ignition, reset the error.
The turbo can get clogged, preventing the actuator opening the wastegate. Diesel cleaner can help, or, I sometimes add a couple of litres of petrol to the tank. This helps clean injectors, turbo, etc;

D5meister
Jul 28th, 2014, 22:54
I put a filter on and the fault "fuel leak detected" with big power loss went away for well over a year now.

D5meister
Jul 29th, 2014, 21:12
spoke to a handy volvo tech tonight and he said for the power loss/limp home go for the intercooler.

Mine is very oily and has been for a few years. Maybe it has a bigger split now?

He said he would do a diagnostic for 25 quid

Also said he could exercise the turbo cntrol valve from his app?

Be next week tho.

Start ordering my intercooler...

Some for £80 or £130 online 2year guarantee

original lasted 10years

Rossi-fan
Jul 29th, 2014, 21:24
Got a cheap one for £110 off the bay. Should last me the rest of my ownership and beyond. Its a pig to change though.

MuddyLee
Dec 10th, 2022, 20:18
Thank you so much for this post had a similar problem and changed the fuel filter and car is running well again with 169979 miles on it