PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard dials going crazy

wagdog
Apr 6th, 2003, 20:20
Hi,

I have just bought a 1962 Jensen built P1800. The dials on the dash, particularly the rev counter seem to go up and down at random, I suspect there is a voltage problem. Anybody got any ideas what is wrong and how I should remedy it?

One other thing. One of the stalks on the steering column just maks a buzzing noise when you touch it. The horn is on the centre of the steering wheel, so what is this stalk for?

P.S. Anybody know of a good classic Volvo mechanic near Birmingham?

Many thanks,

Rob

mikegilbert
Apr 7th, 2003, 20:26
Rob, the rev counters are notoriously unreliable on these cars. I haven't had an accurate one on an 1800 for years. The speedo doesn't run on electric current so if thats all over the place it will be the cable playing up which is not unusual. The oil pressure is not electric either so that shouldn't waver. The stalk you are referring to is for a horn. The early 1800's had 'Town and Country' horns, one on the wheel boss for use in traffic and one on the stalk for scaring cows and the sheep! If one no longer works properly I'd just disconnect it. The later cars had the overdrive switch where your stalk is and made do with one horn, like everyone else on the planet.