PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Amazon floorpans

HadiK
Apr 9th, 2003, 09:09
Has anyone done this?
Are there prepressed repair panels and if so do they fit well?
Also, has anyone carried out a rolling restoration on their Amazon working outside? I'm struggling to find somewhere indoors to do mine and so I'm interested to know in what order people tackled their restos.
Is there a good waterproof primer that each welded section can be coated in to protect it while it's outside?

Any help or tips (or encouragement!!!) most welcome

Hadi

des3act
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:40
Hadi,

Did you have any feedback from anyone on your request?
I am in a similar position about to buy an Amazon for a rolling restoration without a garage - could be fun!

I would be interrested to hear how you are getting on,

Andrew

HadiK
Apr 24th, 2003, 13:46
Hi Andrew

No, sadly I didn't get any feedback but then I don't think this is exactly the busiest bulletin board section on the web!

I'm hoping to start quite soon, but the floorpans (and no doubt the outriggers) look a daunting prospect.

Good luck with yours when you get it.

Hadi

Peter Milnes
Apr 24th, 2003, 23:35
Why not give one of the Amazon restorers a ring to ask how to do it? I am sure they will tell you what you need to do. 01865 771166 also http://www.classicvolvos.co.uk or perhaps 01379 871561 (has e-mail amazoncarsworkshop.briangue@virgin.net ) also http://www.amazoncars.co.uk

All the best, Peter

HadiK
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:14
Thanks Peter

I'll give them a try.

However, I was interested to hear from non professionals as to how easy/dificult they had found the job without years of experience and full workshop facilities.

If someone asked me how long it would take them to design and set up an ecommerce application and which tools worked best, I think I would struggle to give them objective advice if they were beginners.

Regards

Hadi

classicswede
Mar 27th, 2005, 11:06
It's pobably to late now but i have done this job a few years ago. The front section was a good fit however the rear was nothing like the original as it was not dished. As the origial dished sides were ok i cut out the flat centre and cut down the repair panel to fit in. The pannels came from brookhouse a few years ago and may well have improved. All in all if you can weld properly (not bird poo) this job can easily be done however if you are not 100% confident in your welding don't do it this is important to the strength of your car.
Dai