PDA

View Full Version : service time again

GorgeousGeorge
Sep 5th, 2002, 13:29
dunno if this should be in the "40" section but not really a techie question just a question

service time has rolled around for the V40 2.0T, 40k service and the quotes are around the £250.00 mark, does that sound about right, i know this has been asked before but i cant search the archives can i
:9

also do you use volvo dealer or local garage ??

will reset the light tonight as it is getting on my t*ts, but just thought i'd ask for a little input from you guys

cheers

scott

GorgeousGeorge
Sep 6th, 2002, 13:17
back again

just bought the oil, GTX Magnetec, so the service goes down to £215.00

and the light reset, the turn key to position 1 , hold down trip reset, turn key to postion 2 , wait for the ligt to flash , on the third flash release the trip reset and the light is reset, or not as the case may be x(

any thoughts out there ???

scott

GorgeousGeorge
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:23
right

now we have life back on planet forum :9

just had a warning from a gezza on volvospy (turncoat i know) that castrol magnetec is not really suitable for turboed volvo's as it is to thin, is this the case ???

come on guys/girls, it goes in on wednesday and i've got 5.5 litres of magnatec in the boot, should i use it or not ???

cheers

scott

i know the service says 4.5 litres but i thought 5.5 to be safe

tonyflynn1
Sep 13th, 2002, 12:49
Chevron supreme 5w40 fully synthetic - £10 for 4 litres, costco up in Reading or Watford, bargain or what?

GorgeousGeorge
Sep 13th, 2002, 14:18
absolute bargain

so the 10w40 Magnatec (i think) is o.k. fot the V40 2.0T ????

4 forty
Sep 13th, 2002, 20:44
mentioning synthetic oils, i was told by the problem solver of the car mechanics magazine, some time ago, that mobil 1 was not suitable for high mileage cars, mine had done 125000. so there could be something in what you say.
n.b. i used to work for mobil, and always used mobil 1 [ but i got it cheap at £8-50 for 4 litres!!]

GorgeousGeorge
Sep 14th, 2002, 13:59
paul

mines only the 40K service, so not really a high miler, yet !!!

so i should be o.k with the Magnatec, there was a large thread about this before but no archives !!!

cheers

scott

pettaw
Sep 15th, 2002, 23:04
Magnatec will be fine, but I would go with the Mobil 1 in future, far better oil. I've seen that Chevron stuff in Costco, and I've tended to stay away from it in favour of the Mobil 1, its a little more expensive, but then so are the repairs if bits wear out.

Oh and the stuff about the high miler, it depends, if the high miler has been run on Duckhams Hypergrade slop for all its life, then the rings/big ends etc etc etc will have bedded in and adjusted to the thicker oil and there will be all sorts of gunk in the engine basically holding it all together. If you put a really good synthetic into this it'll act like a flush and remove all the gunky bits. That's great until you realise that it was in fact the gunky bits that were keeping the compression on the engine, and once gone you'll get massive piston blow-by and loss of compression and then no engine.

It doesn't really apply, particularly to Volvos if they've been looked after properly, regular oil changes etc. I've even put Mobil 1 into 300 series engines that had done 120,000 miles and they were perfectly good on it.

kwerrett
Sep 18th, 2002, 22:44
Youre excatly right, no point spending money on synthetics if the car has been run on a multi grade all its life, shouldn't do any harm but at the same time wont do much good either.
I run an independent volvo workshop, 23 years working for dealers and importers in 4 countries, apprentice to national service manager, so fair to say I've seen a lot in the way of volvo servicing and do a fair bit now.
Make sure you use a genuine filter.
If your'e going to flush the engine use a good make of engine flush and let the oil drain for at least 45 minutes.
I would do your service all in for about 170.00. Including those expensive plugs, genuine filter and synthetc oil.
Sound good??

GorgeousGeorge
Sep 20th, 2002, 09:57
karl and all

are you sitting comfortably, then i'll begin

wednesday morning arrive at the dealership with my 5.5litres of magnetec behind the drivers seat

"thats fine sir" and knocked the £40.00 off the bill

go home, walk around like an expectant father ( this is my first own car ) !!

get a call, think oh s**t, the rear pads are 85% gone the front 75% gone, so bit the bullet and get rears for £118.00 although this was a **** up as the bill shows £52.50

had a set of front in the boot so they fitted those, and also needed new brake fluid so i get that sorted as well.

total bill £395.00, not that bad i suppose, but the best bit

walked to the car, in the passenger footwell is 1 litre of castrol performance, strange

open the back door and there, behind the drivers seat, 5.5 litres of magnetec, what a load of muppets

well, thats all for today,

laters

scott

p.s karl, where are you based ( not starting a peter milnes thing honest :9 )

kwerrett
Sep 22nd, 2002, 22:34
Hey Scott,

sounds a bit pricey to me.
I am based on the isle of Portland in Dorset.
Just been working on my newly purchased P1800ES, drove it back from Glasgow yesterday, 481 miles and never missed a beat.
Needs some TLC and some bodywork but generally good.
If you need anything, give me a call anytime.

Ta.........Karl

stevepinny
Jun 8th, 2004, 10:43
Scott,

I need help I have a V40 20t SE it just been serviced by my local garage but hence they are not volvo dealers, so can not put the service light out. Can you give me any advice on how to do this.
As Volvo charge a fortune to do it.

Regards

Steve

GorgeousGeorge
Jun 8th, 2004, 11:27
steve

blimey this is an old thread to dig up.

talkin about my 40K sevice and i'm preparing for the 70K in a few months, how time flies.

volvotuning will be getting the business again after the excellent job they did on the 60K.

any way back to the point, try this

This is what works on newer cars:

Service light reset:

1. Turn the ignition key to the #1 position (accessory),
2. Push in the odometer reset button and hold it there,
3. Turn the ignition switch to the #2 position (on/run),
4. Hold the odometer reset button in until the service light starts flashing, then release the button

and see this

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=15&topic_id=978&mode=full

well hope that helps a little and welcome to the forum.

cheers

scott