PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Alloy Wheels

jpjk
Sep 13th, 2002, 04:07
My alloy wheels are a little corroded and pitted, can anyone recommend any tips or products for cleaning them?

Thanks
James
Suffolk

Mav_UK
Sep 13th, 2002, 08:31
If they are pitted and corroded then you may have to get the refurbished, but once back here's what I do (and reccomend):

Clean frequently
A few ime a year t-cut to getany stains off the wheel, then wax using a standard silicone wax (I use a turtle wax product) - do about 3 layers.

Then when you wash all the brake dust and road much just washes off with a quick wipe, and salt, brake dust etc doesn't attack the wheel, it attacks the wax.

Chat later

Stu

Simon Linton
Sep 13th, 2002, 08:36
Once you have pits through the enamel into the alloy, refurbishing is the only answer - all the non sand-blasting tricks will just not do the job.

After refurb - and having your car off the road while the wheels are away - follow the suggestions above; a clean wheel will not get pitted.

Remember, winter is the time to wash the car and the wheels even more frequently!

GorgeousGeorge
Sep 13th, 2002, 10:26
james

can only agree with the above, use autoglym acid stuff on the wheels and then mer to protect, seems to work fine

later

scott

HelenP
Oct 9th, 2002, 18:55
Ditto above I have used the AutoGlym Acid and Extra Gloss on mine and they come up a treat.. They also do a special brush thing it like a hugh makeup brush and quite expensive, but great for getting into those hard to reach bits!

alexzoutsos
Oct 9th, 2002, 20:26
I don't know about you guys (&gals!!) but I have previously (after cleaning) used products specified as 'allow wheel wax' or similar.

I've found these to be very thin, difficult to apply and do not give much protection when dry and buffed, and also very expensive!

Maybe there is some hidden purpose but I think that regular car wax seems a much better bet (especially synthetic stuff like Autoglym's Extra gloss or whatever it is (the one with the screw on lid!)

Squirty
Oct 11th, 2002, 12:03
Chaps,

When I first got my T5 the alloys were filthy. I used Wonder Wheels and after a couple of applications they came up very clean. My T5 is an auto and as such the front wheels get caked in brake dust but using the Wonder Wheels before every wash has kept them clean. I also use it on the stainless exhaust on our other car (RS Turbo Fiesta) as this used to be black but now stays clean & polished with no other treatments.

I've no idea what is in it but don't get it on your skin as it does burn a little, on broken skin it's even worse!

Cheers,

Adam
'94 850 T5