PDA

View Full Version : stealth tax be aware..

Matt360
Sep 15th, 2002, 21:26
Hi all

having just filled the beast at my local tescos

i notice that petrol is now 75.9 a litre

i seem to recall that when it got to 80.0 a litre,

we did somthing about it..

will we do the same this time, or will we just let it creep in unnoticed..

it amazes me how we elect politicians on there so called promises..

why dont we tell them what we want.. get them to agree before hand when they beg for votes on your doorstep..

just have this ol document handy..

i xx (politicians name) agree that in return for a vote in the upcoming election,

i will ensure that tax on petrol is abolished,

along with road tax..

and that the funding allowed for roads is spent on them,,

etc..

one common formm one signatue,,

and if they dont agree no vote

then we will end uo with a coalition gov who willthen have to listen

and get it right for the public..

ahhh another nasterpiece

matt

sheerwater
Sep 16th, 2002, 18:42
Matt,
The motorist has no voice !!!! only a fat wallet as far as the govt is concerned. As posted before the RAC and AA are now nice little private companies under the thumb of the govt. They survive because you have to have a breakdown ''insurance'' these days and the govt. rules make it that way. As said before if we all join the Association of British Motorists on www.abd.org.uk then we will have a voice. Trouble is that everyone I've told about it has sat on their hands. If you dont join then the govt will always have its own way with tax...tax...restrictions...tax...speed cameras...tax tax tax .
Cheers Nigel

Peter Milnes
Sep 17th, 2002, 00:22
Fuel (diesel) is 76.9/Litre in Bridgend, 74.9/Litre in Aberdare and 85.9/Litre up the top of the hill from me. The local texaco usually match Tesco, Talbot Green for prices which are usually one or two pence a Litre more than in Bridgend.

All the best, Peter.

sheerwater
Sep 17th, 2002, 17:13
Highest price I saw recently was on A68 where prices were over the 90p a litre and not far off the £1 !!!! Well if you are stuck up on that road you will pay anything . Fill up before you go!!! Cheers Nigel

flyfisher712
Mar 28th, 2004, 18:54
RE Stealth Taxes,

I recently purchased my first volvo after months of scouring the ads,it was a 95 T5 cd auto model,not being very well up on volvo`s i did a bit of home work and was suprised myself with the news that i would get around 28 to the gallon,how wrong i was ,the car was doing 20 to the gallon and that was driving it at a sensible speed,to get a decent mpg,i had to either sell it and buy a nissan micra or convert it to run on lpg gas,at a cost of £1700,in my opinion the conversion was worth every penny and i now enjoy luxury motoring and am able to use the car as it should be used.The benefit`s are that i can fill my car up on gas and pay no more than £13.50,and that is enough for 175 mile,and it is also 2 fingers up too the government,i hope they dont cotton on too soon and start charging as much for it as they do diesel/petrol.

sholtby
Mar 28th, 2004, 19:15
Spoke to my uncle today who is a keen boatsman. He says that red diesel is soon to be abolished due to the scum bags in Brussels. Its going to make his retirement hobby a lot more expensive..

Simon

tonyflynn1
Mar 28th, 2004, 20:02
Ah, at last someone who's running a T5 on gas, what's it like compared to petrol? was it a straightforward conversion or painful?

Al115
Mar 28th, 2004, 23:22
20 to the gallon really does sound on the low side... on a mixed run (town and motorway) I'd be unhappy not to get 29-30 on my T5. Of course if I put my foot down, that's a different matter!

Alastair

mraldonnelly
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:37
"The benefit`s are that i can fill my car up on gas and pay no more than £13.50,and that is enough for 175 mile,and it is also 2 fingers up too the government,i hope they dont cotton on too soon and start charging as much for it as they do diesel/petrol."

I wouldn't say it's two fingers up to the government really because, although there was probably a grant towards the conversion and you're paying less in duty at the moment, they WILL raise duty on LPG as soon as enough people have converted to it. They then win because they've managed to reduce emissions (a good thing) but still get a fortune from the motorist in duties.

They would need to provide me with a few guarantees before I converted to LPG. I am however envious of you at the moment being able to travel so far on such little cost. And you'll continue to benefit for a few years to come yet I'd say.

Andy

deanrosc
Mar 29th, 2004, 15:58
wots the cheapest you've seen lpg for in your area? BP in standish want 40p per litre, Esso on the East Lancs road only charge 33ppl.