PDA

View Full Version : Water on floor in '89 740GL Wagon

ulvund
Oct 21st, 2002, 01:09
I have standing water in the floor behind the drivers seat. Do not see any other leaks. I am wondering if there is a drain from the sunroof that leads to the floor that may be leaking. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Dave M
Oct 21st, 2002, 08:24
Check that all your windows are properly closed, It suggests that one of the windows is open a fraction. Try that first. My fathers 440 used to do this....until we discovered my niece liked leaning on the window handle, hence water ingress.It happened a couple of times and you how it goes with pensioners that haven't grown up with cars...Major Catastrophe!!! World Ended!. It just means the inconvenience of having to dry it out that's all:-)

Regards
Dave M

George Holmer
Oct 21st, 2002, 08:43
Normal reasons for leaks in 700 series are heater control valve, heater core or footwell vents. Taste it to see if it is coolant, then the heater is the reason.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler

ulvund
Oct 21st, 2002, 19:27
Dave,
The windows are closed and there is no water above the door frame... I guess I will just have to pull the carpet to find the leak. Thanks for your reply. Bill.

Dave M
Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:49
Hi Bill,

Bear in mind that water doesn't rise upwards on a car, therfore it has to be coming "Down " From some where:-) What this means is that any chance of the water coming in off the chassis/road is nil, due to the above explanation.

Can we be more explicit as to where exactly the water is i.e Passengers Footwell, rear footwells etc? Another aspect to look at, is for any Grommets missing on the Bulkhead, this is quite common that the grommet has been pulled during a repair and not replaced. I found the same on an old 240 estate I had, and when I bought it's replacement - the 760GLE guess what was missing?? Yep! Grommets. Worth a look Surely??

Good luck!

Regards
Dave M

ulvund
Oct 22nd, 2002, 22:43
Thanks Dave. I will check in the next day or two and let you know. THe water is in the footwell in the back seat drivers side. Bill.

Mav_UK
Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:15
Water travelling upwards does happen on cars.....

When you drive with the spray being chucked towards your floor it is under a certain amount of pressure due to that action. If you have a hole it can find it. Think driving after rain, even if your car hasn't been out in the rain when you stop there will still be water dripping from all sorts of places (in older cars this is what rots the chassis, sills, floor pans, etc etc etc). Had this problem in my spit and it turned out to be a hole in the floor. Patched it up and all was well, until the poppers broke on the roof........ Had it in my first car, a Fiesta, as well. This was due to a perished rubber plug in the floor (fixed with silicone sealer....)

Chat later

Stu

George Holmer
Oct 23rd, 2002, 15:10
Can you not see my posting above?

George

sheerwater
Oct 23rd, 2002, 23:51
Water may not rise but it sure as hell gets in from below. I had a 144 which almost cut itself in half due to water getting under the back seat. The reason was not obvious until investigated. The car had been bashed in the past and repaired beautifully. Unfortunately some of the goo used in the sill section had made a blockage which allowed water to get into the box section and rise a little. On the inner sill if you peel back the carpets you will find plugs going into large holes. The water was creeping past these and filling the rear. The water was splashing up from the rear wheel, running into the drain holes, running down the arch chassis section and hey presto damp carpets. Check all your drain holes remembering that even if clear there is gunk of somee sort inside which may cause mini dams. Cheers Nigel

ulvund
Oct 25th, 2002, 12:24
Thanks Nigel, I will check this has been helpful. Bill.

ulvund
Oct 25th, 2002, 12:26
Sorry George that I did not reply. SInce the water is in the reat seat foot area I assumed that it would not be collant from a heater core. Thanks for your suggestion though. Bill.

George Holmer
Oct 26th, 2002, 00:25
No, sorry, it was just that I have experienced some technical problems and everyone seemed to reply to your post rather than the last which is what usually happens so I just thought something had gone wrong.

George