PDA

View Full Version : Facilities

tllewellin
Oct 21st, 2002, 11:58
Having changed the rear axle on my 960 I’m now faced with a change of the prop shaft bearings. Since I need jack the car up to a reasonable height both at the front and back, I wondered if anybody knew of any garage facilities that rented car lifts for the day, preferably in the Gloucestershire area?

Peter Milnes
Oct 21st, 2002, 22:23
Might i suggest a set of four axle stands. I have very successfully done repairs to my 760's rear suspension using these. They gave me adequate clearance to replace shockers and springs. They can be got from most car accessory shops, including Halfords. I would suggest using some cardboard in the jaws and using the frames to take the strain.

All the best, Peter.

tllewellin
Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:13
Thanks Peter,

I had thought of this, as I had used 2 when I did the rear axle, but it suggested on the box that you should not use 4, and I could see why, as the car could be liable to rock more, when all wheels are off the ground, but I guess there are few other options, and if I brace the car it should be OK.

Thanks Tim.

jamie28
Oct 22nd, 2002, 12:32
have used axle stands on the rear and ramps on the front before when changing clutches. have found this to be more stable than 4 axle stands.

Mav_UK
Oct 22nd, 2002, 14:19
Sounds like very cheap axel stands (or very cheaply made anyway..) I use axel stands for my cars (my dad's form his garage - homemade as well, using much thicker steel than the cheap ones you see in the shops, and a wider base) and the car does not rock one iota.

I'd get some decent stands if I were you, it's like the cheap trolley jacks you can get, I have a 12 quid one to replace the scissor jack for tyre changes and things, but wouldn't use it for serious maintenance......

Stu

Peter Milnes
Oct 23rd, 2002, 23:40
My 760 is still standing on four axle stands and I can clamber about all over it with no sense of instability whatsoever. You obviously need to use a wide standpoint for them but that is easy enough to arrange. My axle stands? plain old Halfords adjustables.:-)

All the best, Peter.

tllewellin
Oct 28th, 2002, 13:31
Thanks for all the comments, just need to wait for the rain to stop, Thanks Tim