PDA

View Full Version : New V90 - any news?

Symes
Oct 21st, 2002, 22:28
I saw a report a few weeks ago of the new V90.

Anyone got any more info on its availability or specs?

WebAdmin
Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:39
Auto Express magazine did a review on it recently, try their back issues or web site at www.autoexpress.co.uk and search for "Volvo's Fastest Ever Estate"

Bob Isaac
bob@volvoclub.org.uk

Mav_UK
Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:47
Such as shame it's gonna be FWD! That's gotta be it's biggest drawback agains the RWD Beemers and Mercs surely!

Stu

WebAdmin
Oct 22nd, 2002, 11:17
RWD are much safer than FWD, that's why BMW have stuck with them. I have just spent the last 10 months instructing on the skid pan at the Met police driving school and the instruction on the FWD car has raised the eyebrows of almost all.

FWD are more prone to skid and very difficult to recover safely and quickly. I can't understand manufacturers wanting to put powerful engines in these cars. They put wide tyres to improve grip but that will only mean the car will reach its breakaway point at a higher speed. Then you have NO chance to recover. RWD skids are totally different to FWD skids.

However, I will say that a new piece of technology on top end cars can help avoid this, and this has been found in our trials of new cars for possible police use. Computerised brakes have a marked affect on skidding, whereas before you never used brakes in a skid.

It's not just Volvo, the Omega is going to FWD also.

Bob Isaac
bob@volvoclub.org.uk

Mav_UK
Oct 22nd, 2002, 14:16
FWD do have a few advantages I suppose, more room inside the car, and more compact unit up front, but why do you need this in a V90 or Omega? Soon I'ts gonna be very difficult to lay your hands on a RWD that's got a decent amount of room...

My next car will be a RWD (My previous two have been, but nessecity forved me into a FWD this time (nessesity being my other half notletting me buy a 940.......) An Omega (98/99 model) or a 940 / V90 (96 - 98 model) is definately on my list of wants.....

Stu

So whats this new braking system then?

WebAdmin
Oct 22nd, 2002, 15:14
Several manufactureres are using it already on top range cars. Each brake caliper can be independently activated by computer. It can help in a skid. It worked well on our evaluation BMW.

Bob

Mav_UK
Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:11
Sounds interesting..

I suppose the days of a big empty car park covered in snow being an big empty canvas have gone.......

Stu

PS Until I get the Spit there of course }>

Symes
Oct 23rd, 2002, 15:19
Isn't it odd that we were all told how much safer FWD cars were going to be! Of course, what they meant was that a FWD car will be safer in most circumstances with the average driver i.e. one who just about knows how to start, stop and maybe use the big round thing on the dashboard to go round corners!
I spent Sunday co-driving in a modified Talbot Sunbeam around Bovington - conditions were wet to start and some of the open hairpins could be driven on the throttle perfectly - needless to say the FWD only cars sufferred until the surface dried!

Mav_UK - I've spent many a time in an icy/snowy carpark with my MGs (and the old 264 I used have many moons ago!) problem these days is finding a suitable place... oh and the snow of course!

Back to the V90, in relation to the S80 is it going to be longer/wider? Based on a new floorpan? Are the 2 'jump seats' going to be forward facing?
Come on someone must know something!

Mav_UK
Oct 24th, 2002, 06:19
So far over here I have found 2 that were really good... One was next to a swimming pool, no bollards, no cars, and most important - no people at the time, and the other was the car park where I used to work, woke early for some reason, saw the snow and left for work early to be the firstin the car park. When one of the sales guys came in a few hours later he just walked up and asked if that was my work outside..... hehehehehe, Like I sadi in Leicester there is a huge cinema, bowling etc etc complex out near the motorway and after the midnight showing the car park is empty, before I moved to holland I got 2 chances to play with snow. Great fun, even in the Fiesta.

As far as the FWD cars being safer and handling better, when was the last time you saw a front wheel drive F1? And why did the add penalty weights to BMW in the BTCC for having an unfair advantage with RWD?

Stu

WebAdmin
Oct 24th, 2002, 11:54
I said RWD are safer

Bob

Mav_UK
Oct 24th, 2002, 12:27
I was refering to the

>Isn't it odd that we were all told how much safer FWD cars were >going to be!

When I said about the saftey thing, sorry if you mis-understood Bob.

Stu