PDA

View Full Version : Volvo "cellular radiotelephone"

Ian HT
Oct 27th, 2002, 21:46
My "new" (1.8.89) 760 GLE estate is still fitted with its original Volvo carphone. The handset is clipped to a bracket roughly between the steering wheel and the radio console and there is a black box in the near-side-rear underfloor storage where the electric aerial motor also lives. The phone's aerial is fitted on the outside of the n/s/r side window.

It has novelty value and was presumably quite expensive when new, but are any still in use? Does anyone know whether they can be reconnected?

Simon Linton
Oct 27th, 2002, 23:15
My 1992 850 had an old car telephone transmitter left inside - sadly the frequency it used is no longer active, and I would imagine that the one on your own Volvo would have the same problem.

Re-connecting it would be an interesting project, but would cost many times more than a current telephone installation, even if it were possible at all.

sheerwater
Oct 30th, 2002, 16:15
Think your phone is probably analogue which I dont think runs any more in favour of new digital systems. There is a market for good old phones on ebay amongst collectors if you check the site. Best use for old''brick'' phones I saw recently was in a ski magazine. Carry one when skiing and if you happen to crash into someone pretend to be working on a ski film and talk into your ''walkie talkie'' and say ;'' did you get that take or will I have to do it again'' Cheers Nige