PDA

View Full Version : Speed Cameras

Mav_UK
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:52
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2366697.stm

And the bit I like best has to be the quote:

"Crashes do not just occur at accident blackspots," said the committee's report.

How the hell can it be an accident blackspot if crashes do not occur?
Stu

sheerwater
Oct 28th, 2002, 16:12
Hi Stu,
The interesting thing about the whole thing is the word ''accident''.
An accident is by definition an unforseen occurance. Therefore we have a statement ''accident blackspot'' which really means that thhere have been lots of unforseen occurances!!!! This however cannot be true as if there have been accidents before then the next accident was not an accident at all but a forseen occurance. By definition an accident cannot be stopped. Nobody goes out of their way to have an accident and you cannot plan to have an accident. You can minimise the chances of an accident by taking certain precautions and behaving in a certain manner. Unfortunately the powers that be take no responsibility for this except to place all the responsibility upon the motorist. I could spend a whole day showing you around Northampton detailing safety aspects such as dangerous road markings, poor road design and construction, poor maintainance etc etc. The bleat is that there is no money for repairs from the road safety fund. Only money for more speed cameras. I see with interest that the local authorities may soon be responsible for accidents if poor road design can be proved. PS when I pointed out a very dangerous junction where there had been numerous 2.3. and 5 car pile ups nothing was done. That is nothing until I stood at the road junction with the chief engineer and a bus nearly hit him. Result...one new road sign and no accidents since. Nuff said. Cheers Nigel