PDA

View Full Version : locking wheel nuts

GorgeousGeorge
Oct 28th, 2002, 10:54
mornin chaps

just a quickie

what locking wheel nuts do you use ???

i currently have the volvo ones but went to take the front wheel off and the "key" seemed to kick off the nut and now i cant get the thing off. It will come off no doubt but i cant hold the key on hard enough to prevent it sliding out/off.

visit to the tyre dealer should sort this.

but my concern is, has this happened to anyone else, or is this just me being 'blonde' again.

oh, the car has just been serviced an all the nuts seemed to be over the 110NM quoted in the manual.

as always, thanks for your time/effort

scott

and a new set £17.95 from eurocarparts, add that to the £30.00 for the torque wrench, x(

GorgeousGeorge
Oct 28th, 2002, 17:06
argh

come on guys, i'm not the only one with locking wheel nuts surely !!

4 forty
Oct 28th, 2002, 20:21
george you are not alone,i have the same problem with the volvo locking nuts. i think its due to the keyway being serated and if you do not get the key in line it damages the seration for future use,a bad design i think.

paul [4 forty]

WebAdmin
Oct 28th, 2002, 20:41
I had these on my first Volvo, a 1981 244GLE. I needed to change a wheel one day and the key broke. I had to chisel the nut off. I have them on my 850 but I don't put them on tightly, and I won't let a garage put them on, that's probably why the key broke on my last Volvo. As Paul says, bad design.

Bob

GorgeousGeorge
Oct 29th, 2002, 09:15
cheers guys

so are there any alternatives that you would recommend ??

and put on to tightly, this could be the reason, i set the torque to 110NM as the book states and noted that all the nuts were a LOT tighter !!!

anyway, thanks

scott

Squirty
Oct 29th, 2002, 10:07
Try ScrewFix Direct for a torque wrench, they've got them for about £12.

Adam

'94 850 T5

GorgeousGeorge
Oct 29th, 2002, 10:10
adam

cheers mate, just what i needed to hear, already paid 30 quid for it !!

ar$e x(

scott