PDA

View Full Version : Detachable towbar recall

WebAdmin
Oct 29th, 2002, 21:36
(This has been moved from the 'Announcements' section)

I recently received the following email from Volvo Car UK regarding this matter that is appearing in the papers and magazines:

"You may have seen that Volvo Car Corporation have launched a new recall concerning Detachable Tow Bars. The problem we are experiencing is that these tow bars could potentially be fitted to 700/900 series, 850s, S/V40s,S/V90s, S/V/C70s, S80s and New V70s as an accessory fitment. This unfortunately means that we have no definitive list of the vehicles these have been fitted to. The recall has been launched in the UK in conjunction with Saab GB as they also have sold and fitted the affected tow bars.

We have already placed notices in national newspapers and magazines, we are currently carrying out other ways of contacting customers but we feel that a good place to try to get Volvo drivers attention would be to have a notice on your web site."

If you Acrobat Reader on your PC then please look at:

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tow_bar_recall.pdf

If you have one then please contact your Volvo dealer.

Bob Isaac
bob@volvoclub.org.uk

Tibbsey23
Mar 12th, 2009, 19:06
Evening folks, as this recall was a good few years ago, does anyone have any experience of what happened next?

The reason I ask is because my 'new' 96 940 has this model tow bar, which means either it didnt get taken back, or it has been modified. Undoubtedly the former is far more likely, but I was just wondering if there are any signs that anything has been done.

Either way what is the likelyhood of Volvo doing anything about it now, 6 or so years down the line and a couple of owners later? Im sure if I rang my local dealer they will be able to tell me the score (and presumably if the previous owners heeded the recall) but just wondering if anyone had any personal experience... or experience of the 'problem' as I do intend to make use of the bar, which looking at the paint on the ball is something that has not really been done before!

cheers

Tibbsey23
Mar 13th, 2009, 18:24
Right, popped to the dealer this afternoon, I am assured that although there have been 4 recalls to my car since it was purchased, the towbar is not amongst them.

The part number of my towbar is 9192360 and I think its an A50X model. So assuming the Volvo computer is not telling tales, and as I cannot find any reference to this part number on the net... and unless anyone knows any different, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that all is well.

Incidentally in my searches I came across a VOSA vehicle recall database which may be useful to someone! http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp