PDA

View Full Version : Authoritative Parts & Tech info.

andykem
Nov 2nd, 2002, 17:26
Perhaps others will not mind if I muse aloud on this for a bit.

I have owned Volvo's for the last 20 years (145DL,245DL,265GLE and now a 262C). I have never done all or even most of the work on them as, having done so in my extreme youth, I had quite simply had enough of struggling with inadequate tools and facilities and anyway, the usual family and other commitments made it impossible. But still, I have always studied the relevant Haynes manual and sought to understand problems even though our local garage would do the work in the end.

Indeed, on occasion even in recent years, if in a fix, I have resorted to fairly adventurous but peripheral work such as removing manifolds or replacing a radiator. Mainly though I stick to fixing the time consuming and fiddly electrical things, often using a secondhand part. As a by-the-way, if I can afford it now, I do use new parts as I hope to keep the 262 sort of 'forever' and, scrapyard parts are all very well for a while but not really in the longer term.

One thing I have found is that if new parts are used to fix a problem then it tends to stay fixed. But it is with new parts that there is a problem, partly because they are so often very, very costly. If you are to buy a part then you want to be jolly sure it's the one that will do the job. I cannot afford the 'substitute and see' approach usually, although srapyard parts can sometimes be useful. Even then, only if the garage time is small or I can do the job myself.

So, I am often perplexed. Often we lack the expertise or knowledge of specific Volvo foibles that enable accurate diagnosis. Then, when we approach the Volvo dealer, despite their good computer systems and a still amazingly good supply of even older parts, we are completely reliant on them to track through the changes over the years. Unfortunately, not every parts department seems to be able to understand what's needed. Just recently, one dealer said "no, not available, etc.." so I went to a different one and had the correct parts inside of 24hrs! Sometimes I wonder if it is just me.

What I would like to be able to do is have access to an authoritative source of specific information for our forum that cuts through the uncertainty. I know, wouldn't we all! Perhaps the club could engage a panel of former and current Volvo techies and mechanics to advise through these forums. It is true (isn't it?), that many of the tech queries that appear on our model forums are not really sorted for one reason or another. That's one thing.

Then again, even if the resolution of someones's technical puzzle is clarified, I wonder if there is a way that the club could provide an authoritative interface to the Volvo parts supply chain through these forums? Then, instead of the often hurried or unsatisfactory conversations with parts departments, the commercial interest could be set to one side to allow a bit more of a chatty approach with an empanelled parts advisor that others could read and contribute to. That way misunderstandings can often be sorted out by someone else's intervention.

The result of all this is intended to be that I, or any member, could go with some confidence, into any old Volvo dealer and specify the part number needed. Volvo might like this too, since it could save time and trouble in the dealerships as well as leaving us even more pleased with our cars! Of course, is any of this practicable? Maybe 'empanelled advisors' could be paid a small retainer by our club, with some sort of 'per forum response fee' on top?

I have just seen Bob Isaacs' new links page and that looks as if it will help too. But perhaps there may still be some room to consider my suggestions. Anyhow, I'll be interested to see what others of us think.

Cheers
Andy

Paul Wildsmith
Nov 2nd, 2002, 20:36
The Club's Technical Director did have a number of very good links within Volvo UK, but some time ago they stopped being helpful - saying that their dealer network is best placed to help Volvo owners. In practise, often the very same dealers recommend that people ask the Club for help. I don't know the current status of contact between the Club and Volvo - I guess Bob will reply!

OldGoat
Nov 5th, 2002, 21:05
Help may be on the way, I've forgotten the appropriate buzzword, but VI understand that Volvo is being 'forced' to go more public with its information from 2003.

Having being frustrated in getting service manuals after ny 760 (No demand. too many sections, can't get part numbers, it's all on VADIS now, Sir....) I am now informed that from July 2003 information may be available on the Web. The sting is that - if one takes the US as a model - the cost may be prohibitive. In the US an annual subscription is $400 per manual SECTION. Ho, Hum, how easy it is to defeat a well meaning Directive...

sheerwater
Nov 6th, 2002, 23:39
Once Volvo had an expert technical department in Ipswich. Long gone and refer to dealer is now the in expression. So who does the dealer turn to if the problem is mystifying and there have got to be some that come along. Ah the secret telephone number!!!! Cheers Nige

Olaf The Blue
Nov 7th, 2002, 19:56
Did the cessation of helpfulness coincide, by any chance, with Volvo becoming part of the Ford empire?

Regards
Olaf The Blue