PDA

View Full Version : Driver retesting.....re-education.

sheerwater
Nov 9th, 2002, 10:48
Another thread!!! ''I passed my test in the army '' How often have you heard this from some oldboy. Its an interesting point that we MOT vehicles but we do not MOT the ''machine which drives them''. Looking at this from several angles. We deteriorate hopefully not as quickly as our cars but we still do. Eyesight goes, reflexes go and memory goes. Every year I get bits of paper with my tax renewal stating XYZ is changing. If you add all these points into an equation you can get someone on the road who has driven for 30,40,50 years yet has only been tested once. Curiously enough the latest statstics show that these people are also the safest drivers. My wife is an ophthalmic optician and she never ceases to be amazed a the number of drivers on the road who are till driving (all ages) with imperfect vision that would never pass the driving test. So what did the Govet do. Stop free eye tests.!!!!! Every year she has to ''ban'' drivers from using cars due to vision which cannot be corrected. She loses count of the number who rush in because they have broken their only pair of specs and cant do the job without them ''but I drove here anyway'' (no we dont need extra business!!!)
On the re-education front does anyone kow of any county which runs FREE driver re-education, driver refresher courses as part of the safety empire. I doubt it because although you might improve safety you dont raise cash. Cash raised from speed cameras is only used for more speed cameras which is not the be all and end all of road safety.
Cheers Nige

crunchie
Nov 12th, 2002, 20:43
I agree that all drivers should be re-tested on a regular basis ie. 2-5 years. After discussing this topic with some friends a couple of years ago, I decided to take a couple of advanced lessons with a local driving school. After 15 years of driving I had picked up a fair few faults, the main one being lack of observation of road signs. I have taken heed of the faults and hope I have improved my driving skills. If the government won't introduce mandatory re tests, then I feel it would be for the good of all road users if everyone took a voluntary lesson with a driving instructor every now and then. Who else is going to tell us our eyesight is poor or our driving a bit ropey? (apart from our spouses)
Every driver should ask themselves "Could I pass the test now"? I bet very few could.

Networkguy
Nov 12th, 2002, 22:54
Why not save yourself the expense.

Both RoSPA and the IAM both offer advanced driver training for a lot less than BSM do and will take you to a higher standard.

From memory, the IAM will cost you about £70 per year and RoSPA about £17 a year (plus £20 for the test).

crunchie
Nov 13th, 2002, 18:56
Thanks Networkguy,

I had never thought about RoSPA. I found their website on www.rospa.com I will be taking their advanced course and test in the spring, after I have boned up on the theory first.

Cheers

Networkguy
Nov 13th, 2002, 19:27
>Thanks Networkguy,
>
>I had never thought about RoSPA. I found their website on
>www.rospa.com I will be taking their advanced course and
>test in the spring, after I have boned up on the theory
>first.

Having done the RoSPA test a couple of months back (and passed with a gold :-) ), you will find they concentrate on how you drive not what you have read in a book. After all, anybody can read a copy of Roadcraft but the course will actually put what you read into real conditions on a week by week basis making a lot more valuable.

crunchie
Nov 14th, 2002, 19:02
Hi Networkguy,

Thanks for the info and congrats' on the gold. It's nice to know there are some drivers out there who actually take a pride in their driving. Now to get my brother to take the course with me. He learned to drive in the army - and it shows. (and he drives a Fiat) sorry to use the F word.

Iwantavolvo
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:36
Hi all,

Networkguy:

"From memory, the IAM will cost you about £70 per year and RoSPA about £17 a year (plus £20 for the test)."

The IAM costs £70 (60 if you are under 25) for the Skill for life package which includes all lessons,first years membership of the IAM (if the test is passed) and membership of a local group.

I have just renewed mine in october for £14.50 (by direct debit,£15 if by cheque)

Definately well worth it.

Hope this helps

Mike