PDA

View Full Version : License to print Euros

Mav_UK
Nov 18th, 2002, 10:52
Just checked my 440 in for it's yearly service and APK (Dutch MOT) and am quite disgusted at the way it works here. Firstly the only reason it is not being serviec is because it's a '96 car, 108K km's on the clock, with FSH, as I want to sell it next year, so I thought keeping the FSH might be a good idea....

But, cost of service, assuming nothing is wrong - 300euros (200ish quid), cost of APK, haven't been told. 200 quid for a non franchised garage to service a car???????? I only paid Toyota (main dealer) 180 to service an MR2 and change the rear brakes! Is this price normal for other parts of Europe is Holland seriously expensive?

Now for the really fun part. If the car failes the MOT, even though it has 6 weeks left to run, it can't move except by transporter. So if the guy decides he wants me to pay for new brakes etc, I'm screwed. Cost of brakes if I do it, 50 - 70 quid ish from a trade person next time I'm in the UK (christmas) and myself and my father will fit them. I'm guessing the garage is going to want quite a bit more than that. And as I said I can't even say that I'll get it repaired as the Dutch road system is all computerised and linked to the goverment department. The police know when a car has failed and that you can't drive it....

I miss the UK at times (it fails, you take it home get it repaired and take it back!)

Stu

morsing
Nov 18th, 2002, 15:09
That wouldn't be more than 50-100 quid in Denmark.

George Holmer
Nov 18th, 2002, 20:51
The Belgian Autokeuring does not work like that. If I fail, I can fail on a non-critical point or a critical point. Bascially, if the car is so bad that is it dangerous, it will be banned from use on public roads. However, worn pads, missaligned headlights and the like will just result in a fail and a 15 day period to have it fixed. If the car has not been presented again withing that period for re-inspection, then it is banned from use on public roads.

I do not think Belgium is more expensive than other countries for most basic type servicing and repairs. A new clutch on my 740 was 300 quid at the main dealer which I think is what a Volvo dealer in the UK would charge. I did ask my independent Volvo mechanic about replacing an engine at for that he wanted over 2000 pounds, not including the engine. I know of a garage in Portsmouth that would stick a desent 2.4 diesel engine in my petrol turbo for 300 quid plus engine and service. I am still unsure if car parts and car repairs are cheaper or dearer in the UK.

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler

sheerwater
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:34
George, dont think you would get much change from £500 for a 740 clutch here (main dealer) Cheers Nige

Mav_UK
Nov 25th, 2002, 15:36
Well got the car back, serviced and an APK (MOT) until Jan 2004, and to be fair the car does drive better, unless that's just me looking for something....

They did replace the rear pads, which I am not overy happy about as they didn't call me first, but the car which I thought had good brakes before stops on a dime now.

It also seems quiter, more willing when cold, although it still hunts it's not as bad as it was, and it seems quieter.

Only problem is they don't give you the bill straight away, it will come in the post at some point soon. Providing everything is okay I'll be happy, just hpoing they don't go overboard with the pricing of the rear pads. Anyone got an idea how long to change rear pads on a '96 440. My guess at the moment is that a trained mechanic could take an hour if he really took his time.

Chat later

Stu