PDA

View Full Version : Firemans dispute!!!

sheerwater
Nov 24th, 2002, 18:44
Can someone please explain two things to me regarding he firemans dispute? Firstly have the tyres ever been changed on the green godesses or are they still charging around at 35mph on old tyres. Secondly why are they still using 50 year old green godesses? If modern fire engines were for example changed every ten years why didnt the Government grab the older models and mothball them? Surely a range of low mileage 10,20 or even 30 year old machines would be better than 50 year old ones. What happens to old engines ? are they s####ped or are they exported to other countries? I wonder if there are many other busineses which rely on 50 year old bits of kit as a backup after s####ping their later machines? notice no politics this time... common sense!!!! Cheers Nige

George Holmer
Nov 24th, 2002, 19:34
I like how the new software censurs not only #### but also the letters c r a p in s####, s####ping and s####ped.

As for the machines, Nigel, I agree. One does wonder!

George

Resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler

cootuk
Nov 24th, 2002, 20:07
http://marina.fortunecity.com/cayecalm/417/goddess.html

£1.8m a year for 1100 machines....so that's £1600 per vehicle a year for the contract. I guess these engines don't see much use so may be in better condition mechanically than a modern engine that's been thrashed for a few years.

4 forty
Nov 24th, 2002, 20:16
could not agree with you more nige, my sentiments entirely, i supose the de commisioned engines are only good for spares for trucks as there is little demand for second hand fire engines except for collectors, of which a friend of mine has a working dennis pumper and goes to local rallies with it[ A GOOD LITTLE EARNER PERHAPS!!]

paul [4 forty]

Bob
Nov 25th, 2002, 11:31
>I like how the new software censurs not only #### but also
>the letters c r a p in s####, s####ping and s####ped.
>

Hmmm. Might change this one.

cootuk
Nov 25th, 2002, 15:42
Thinking about it, modern fire engines are probably full of electronics in the engine management systems. If there was ever a nuclear strike the EMP pulse would wipe out a lot of electronic circuitry. Perhaps Green Goddesses are kept because they are from an era when things were mechanical and so not affected by an EMP pulse....

Mav_UK
Nov 26th, 2002, 07:30
This is the same reason Russion Jets are equiped (used to be equiped?) with Valve Radios...............

granvilleb
Nov 26th, 2002, 20:40
They were fully overhauled after the last strike and were fitted with Cummins diesels and modern gearboxes. Its prob the wheel shimmy that slows them down.

sheerwater
Nov 26th, 2002, 21:05
Or the speedbumps!!!!!!! Cheers nige

Simon Linton
Nov 28th, 2002, 10:14
It certainly won't be the drivers - squaddies all think they are driving Challengers through buildings...