PDA

View Full Version : Affermative Action.......

Mav_UK
Nov 26th, 2002, 09:58
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2513605.stm

No one you know is it nigel :9

sheerwater
Nov 26th, 2002, 20:11
Sorry I dont know this guy but if I found out where he lived I would buy him a pint!!!! no make that a barrel!!! I like people to have a voice and an opinion regarding certain matters. Thats why we have a vote in elections. Unfortunately as we are all aware once elected the politicians suddenly think up new schemes which were not in their manifesto and either ignore or dilute the ones which were. Take our estate for example. Brand new 20 years ago. A blank canvas to design reasonable standards of living. Footpaths everywhere. No reason whatsoever for cars and pedestrians to mix. So what happens. As a result of one child disobeying school rules by leaving by an entrance allotted to cars gets hit (not to seriously) . Oh dear. Road safety. Safer routes to schools. Put in a 20mph limit and speed bumps at all costs. Why safer routes to school was needed here I dont know as most of the little dears are ferried by car anyway. Lets look at this from another angle. Imagine if we went out shopping and we were told that once we had our four wheeled vehicle (trolley) we had to pay a toll to enter the supermarket . Then we might find that we had to go around the supermarket in a certain way at a certain speed . Should we stop to long at any display an assistant would either move us on or slap an instant price increase on the item. At other points you would not be allowed to stop at all to pick up goods. Every so often there would be bumps designed to jolt the contents of the trolley breaking eggs, buiscuits etc. No overtaking would be allowed as a result of pedestrians walking without trolleys. If we forgot something we would not be allowed to go back but would only be allowed to go through the checkout and repeat the circuit again. Add to this the fact that before you could use a trolley you would have to attend a course to insure that you did not bump into peoples heels or scratch cars in car parks. Insurance of course would be obligatory and at no time would the trolley be allowed to be overloaded or have an unsafe load i.e kids standing in them. Frozen food could not be bought unless the correct form of insulating bags had been brought along.There would not of course be enough trolleys for everyone as some would be away having their annual shopworthy test. A form of identification would have to be carried and if not presented at time of purchasing goods would have to be taken back to the store within 5 days or there would be an instant deduction from your credit card and the possibility of you having to use a basket for a year. Certain shoppers would have special privilages such as being allowed two much larger trolleys and they would be allowed to use lanes denied to the rest of us. Sounds familiar doesnt it so if we would not accept it as shoppers why on earth do we allow the politicians to do it to motorists!!!! Where can you hire diggers????? Cheers Nige PS its going to be really interesting if it ever snows in our area as you cannot use a snowplough on a road with speed bumps.