PDA

View Full Version : Welcome To VolvoLand

VolvoLand
Nov 29th, 2002, 17:03
Welcome to the ultimate Volvo site, with Volvo info, links, photos and movies.

http://welcome.to/volvoland

Mike Clift
Nov 29th, 2002, 18:29
A Warning to you all.

DO NOT GO HERE.

The first thing it tries to do is to get you to install GATOR - a known piece of spyware.

You then have to ask to see it in English!!!

A complete waste of time.

Mike

crumpit1
Nov 30th, 2002, 21:30
Thanks for your orders, I was under the impression I lived in a democracy. A reputable anti virus and firewall sorts out the spam stuff thank you very much. There happens to be an enlightening and useful content on that site, which, as someone has obviously spent some time and effort in producing, should not allowed to be put off with comments like yours.
God forbid the rest of the world should not speak your native tongue either

Mike Clift
Nov 30th, 2002, 22:12
Just lets make one thing clear...

Not an order, merely a suggestion.

NO Anti virus or firewall will stop somebody from clicking to install GATOR.

Go back and try it - then try to remove it from your system. Without some decent removal software you will be stuck.

And yes, if you do live in a democracy, you do what you like. And I'll do the same.

You can enjoy the site, I thought it was rubbish. Others can decide for themselves.

No professional site employs the "Gator" tactic and if my message stops just one person from installing it I'll be happy and my post will have been worthwhile.

Obviously its impossible to please everybody and I'll include you in that category.

Mike

Friar Tuck
Dec 1st, 2002, 10:24
Hmmm....it didn't ask me to install Gator, does that mean something?

Have to agree with Mike on the content though, not a lot there really apart from a Volvo beauty contest.

Ho Hum

VolvoLand
Dec 1st, 2002, 17:33

Sorry about the "gator spam" (it's in the welcome.to service) if you tray this link instead...you will se the English site with NEW links to the wallpapers on the Volvo V70 R and S60 R

http://hem.bredband.net/olamuo/volvolandeng/indexeng.htm

Ola VolvoLand Webmaster

Bob
Dec 1st, 2002, 18:01
I just looked also, no Gator, they must have removed it. My thanks to Mike for the alert.

Folks, Mike is a professional and his warning is welcome.

Dan F
Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:12
Hi.

It just tried to get me to install, Date Manager and Precision Time......er, from Gator corporation!

So they are still there. People just need to be aware of these things and not blindly click yes on every box that appears on IE. Reading the message is always a plus.
It was unsolicited, so I rejected the attempt to get me to install it. Who knows what it does when it gets installed anyway!

Cheers,
Dan.

Mike Clift
Dec 2nd, 2002, 11:51
Dan

If Gator is installed this is what happens...

Between 45 and 75 files and registry keys are installed which will hog over 22% of the machines system resources.

When on the internet adverts will "pop up" at regualr intervals inviting you to click and visit the shops etc.

It also tracks the sites that you visit and reports back to "HQ" so that future ads will reflect your web surfing and shopping habits.

There is software available to remove Gator with varying levels of success. On the later Gators under XP it is also sometimes necessary to do manual "tinkering" in Config files etc.

Not for the faint hearted!

If any body needs to download the software to remove Gator I can post the links but they will need to be aware of the problems improper use can cause..

The best cure is not to install it or indeed ANY software that you are prompted to download - unless of course it's something you have asked for.

Hope that helps.

Mike