PDA

View Full Version : Protect your computer!!!!!

sheerwater
Dec 7th, 2002, 10:42
Following on from the Volvoland discussion I think that the subject of computer attack by outsiders is very important. Dont be fooled by the fact that you are protected by Norton Anti Virus unless you update every day before you access any other site. Twice my machine has been totally attacked by a ********* and in the second case every single file was made into the same length. This flattened the system, wiped ut all useable data and took me hours to get back. Fortunately most important data was backed up but I lost things like the little freebee programs that were of some use , bookmarks etc. Norton Antivirus was installed at the time!!!!
There are some good programs for getting out the trash. One is SYSTEM MECHANIC by IOLO which can do wonders in getting trash out of your machine. (sorry dont know website but a demo for 30 days is free on IOLO site) Second good program is AD-AWARE.
This program can be downloaded from www.lavasoft.de This program can be used to detect if background programs are monitoring your computer and can stop the processes. When I loaded it there were at least 3 programs working in the background to monitor my internet movements. Thats why I kept on getting the junk mail. Give both programs consideration but of course be careful how you use them. Cheers Nige

Peter Milnes
Dec 9th, 2002, 00:57
Like I said before the only way to go is to install a firewall program like ZoneAlarm which is free to download and really does protect your computer from hackers and other malicious software.

All the best, Peter