PDA

View Full Version : Humbug and more humbug but from whom!!!!

sheerwater
Dec 16th, 2002, 23:36
Hi,
Is it just me or do the shops appear to be very quiet this Christmas ? I know we always say things like this every year but it is quite noticeable for the ease of shopping. I spoke to one trader in Northampton who reconned trade was down 30% from last year. His reason is that the strict regime of parking enforcement is putting shoppers off coming into town centres. This is coupled with the ludicrous system of fining all and sundry £60 for daring to touch a white line in a parking bay with one wheel even though the fee has been paid.

Dont the councils realise that every fine given is the equivalent amount removed from spending power in the shops ? If trade goes down as a result of council (government) policy surely all commercial properties will be asking for a council rates rebate so negating any income from the fines.

I think that it could affect jobs and the economy ultimately. Any views anyone? Nope not humbug as I'm the stupid one in my family who really loves the ritual of Xmas with the decorations, tree and lights, presents etc. Merry Xmas one and all. Nige

mike s
Dec 17th, 2002, 01:28
As the owner of a retail business, I can confirm that "Christmas isn't happening" this year.
As far as causes go, then Local Council greed, re. parking is a major factor-one wonders if they take any notice! Our council has "franchised" their car parks to a bunch of legalised "highwaymen" as well.
I pay £1400 p/a in business rates for a 19ft square retail unit on top of £3000 p/a rent, I would expect SOME support from my council-SOME HOPE. I also have to pay 50p for every bag/parcel of rubbish & they object to me putting all my paper in the local recycling facility, as I am not paying to dispose of it!
These idiots are ruining local economies across the country through incompetence & there appears to be nothing one can do about it.

Mike Sterland

sheerwater
Dec 18th, 2002, 18:44
Hi,
Im glad somebody else can see what is happening. My wifes business was booked up to 6 weeks in advance but now we are lucky if tomorrow is fully booked. Secondly it is stupid to think that the council will even realise what is going on. One very little known fact is that an edict come from on high i.e. Tony and his mates stating that the leader of the council must be paid. So once upon a time this was a free service from good spirited citizens (whatever their motive) Now its another liability on the taxpayer. Not only that is there anyone on this site who is guaranteed a job for the same length of time as it is from election to election. Doubt it. Cheers Nige

mike s
Dec 28th, 2002, 01:22
Don't blame the "Governmemt", blame your local council. They're the ones who feather their own nests at the greatest cost to the individual. Most of the time it's not the elected but the executive that gain at our expense. Everyone laughs at "corruption" in Italian politics-they could learn a thing or two over here!

dr dolittle
Dec 28th, 2002, 09:22
Hi All,

This year Santa brought me Michael Moores " Stupid White Mem" ... scary ... Bush DIDN'T win ... Corruption - we got nothing on the Yanks !

All the best in 2003

Steve

sheerwater
Jan 5th, 2003, 18:53
Hi,
Its not well known but the local council is being ''DIRECTED'' to put in more silly rules. Our council now has a ''CABINATE'' of elected but also paid persons. The paying of these people was directly as a result of government directives as are many of the other changes inflicted upon us. Cheers Nige