PDA

View Full Version : Remote Central Locking

Mav_UK
Dec 31st, 2002, 07:20
Hey People,

Quick question....

I have a '96 440 'Luxury' (Dutch) and had a bit of a problem last night with my Remote Central Locking. It's a Volvo immobaliser and is certified here in Holland, and the fob has two buttons lock and unloack. Last night my battery died in the fob whilst trying to unlock the car, meaning no central locking and the immobaliser was still on. Thankfully I was picking my housemate up from schiphol airport so there was a camera shop that sold the batteries, but what happens if you are stuck? Can this be bypassed in any simple way, in case I get stuck again.....

Also, these batteries seem to last for about 1 year (my other halfs mother changed them shortly before I brought the car) is this normal, or do I need to think about a new fob?

Thanks

Stu

Mike Clift
Dec 31st, 2002, 08:55
This is a solution published in a newspaper here in the UK.

I got stuck a few years ago and tried it - works ok.

Open the car using the drivers door with the key - the alarm will go off.

Get in the car and close the door

Hold the remote for a few seconds and then aim towards sensor and press unlock button to disable alarm, immobiliser etc

I think it also mentioned holding on to the car body if possible.

It seems that it is unlikey the battery goes completely dead - unless you have been struggling with it for months - and the closer and more direct signal path plus warmth of the car will generate enough signal which coesn't float around everywhere.

Then remeber to buy a new battery! Of course, nobody takes any notice of you sitting in a car with the alarm going off!

Mike

Mav_UK
Dec 31st, 2002, 09:58
I dont have an alarm, only the immobaliser..... (I wouldn't have one fitted either for exactly the reason you mention).

Where exactly is the sensor (the alarm is radio, not infra red)? Also, yup, I have been struggling for months, it hasn't been a must get close, it's more of a will it won't it, and still flicks the locks at a good 20 - 30 feet.

I'll try to remember the trick for the next time it happens though,

Thanks

Stu