PDA

View Full Version : Scary Dutch People

Mav_UK
Mar 28th, 2003, 07:30
Hey People,

Well my other half has taken the car (2.0T V40) to work for the first time today (second time she has driven without me in the car...) and I am now quite scared. Her coworkers think that it's a big car, and it is apparently one of the biggest in the car park!

Do you get the same situations in the UK these days, or is it just the Dutch driving small cars?

Stu

George Holmer
Mar 28th, 2003, 08:06
The French are worse. I will never, ever forget driving through south of France in our Volvo estate... you might have thought we were Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman with kids they way people starred. I even got stuck once in a T junction because the car was too big.

My colleague when I worked in Brussels told me her dad had made her buy a 440 and she said she never would have thought she would buy such a big car, the next day I parked my 740 next to hers and she did not say a thing, her face was enough. To me, who grew up in Sweden were there ar e very few cars smaller than the x40s, I find them small and my Volvo 740s just about average.

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/M46, 200k)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46, 270k)
'88 745 GL (B200E/M47, 200k)
'89 440 GL (B18K/M55, 90k)

Skid
Mar 28th, 2003, 10:54
Hi there,

I'm replying because of the name of the above subject. Are we Dutchman now scary or ........

Imagine the lady was driving a real (rear-wheel drive) volvo!!!
How big she would than be...

Joseph

Mav_UK
Mar 28th, 2003, 11:57
The lady in question won't let me buy a real RWD Volvo :( . I saw a really nice 960 with all the goodies going last year, and it was a manual, but she said it looked to boxy and toomuch like a hearse....

Dutch people in general are not scary, indeed I am marrying one next year, but how can people known for their height (at 6' I have to look up to most people I know here) say a medium sized car is small....

Stu

Skid
Mar 28th, 2003, 12:10
yr reply explains everything. Hope you didn't consider my first response as an offence!

197 cm (6'7!?)
105 kg (225 pounds)

not average Dutch!

Mav_UK
Mar 28th, 2003, 13:51
I make it a rule never to get offended on the net :) Life's far too short!

At 6'7 you mst find it very difficult to find a car that's big enough. An ex coworker of mine was about the same height and he eventually went for a 306 convertable, not for the fact that it had no roof, but for the fact that other lease (company) cars of the same size just wouldn't take his legs. Even in the 306 you couldn't use the back seat behind him....

Stu

PS As you're into bikes have you ever been to the Assen TT ot Assen Superbike weekends?

Skid
Mar 28th, 2003, 14:13
I can confirm your remarks.
How did you conclude my intrest in motorbikes? As a matter of fact besides the various volvo-projects I have, the next project is to have (find) a basket case with sufficient triton parts to have such a bike standing next to my other british bike(s) I own for 20 years. 4th to follow later since I have 3 little boys!!
(Joseph.diks@umt-group.com / skid@wish.net)