PDA

View Full Version : p1800 newbie looking for advice

ryanchirnomas
Apr 7th, 2003, 22:25
hi. i'm interested in perhaps getting a volvo p1800 within the next year, and i had some questions that i'm hoping someone can answer. i'm looking to buy one in daily driver condition, hoping to spend around USD$6000. i live in washington dc. keeping that in mind, i wonder if anyone can speak to the following issues:

-weather. dc isn't all that cold, but it does get snow sometimes. rust issues??
-cost of maintenance/repair. i don't have access to a garage and tools...expensive???
-air conditioning. dc gets very hot and humid in the summer. is a/c an aftermarket thing or standard?
-performance. the p1800 isn't exactly known for its power. is this a problem generally for mostly city driving?
-suspension. dc has a lot of pot-holes. how is the ride in a p1800? how fragile or robust?
-anybody with experience regarding passing us emissions (post-1967) models only?
-any common gremlins to look out for when purchasing?

basically, i really like the way the p1800s look inside and out and it seems that it is a very affordable and unique classic car to own. the problem is that they are not very common and i have never driven one. so i wonder if someone can describe the experience of having one as a daily driver, and the trials and tribulations thereof. considering that when i purchase one, i may have to purchase remotely (pay an independent inspector in another city), i'd like to get a heads up on any issues before i enter the market.

thanks very much in advance,
ryan