PDA

View Full Version : volvo radios/how do you secure them?

4 forty
Apr 17th, 2003, 20:16
the volvo radios have two concealed pulls either side, which are released by pressing with your finger! the radio its self is not easy removed to stow in the boot etc. has anyone thought of how to make these less prone to be stolen. i was thinking about securing a chain somewere on the rear metal structure to the actual radio, but realise this could cause a short circuit have you any suggestions please??

paul

S_Lock
Apr 17th, 2003, 22:59
You used to be able to get a panel that slotted into the cassette flap and locked in via a key in the front, this thing would completely cover the radio so no one could see what it was either!
I have a very expensive Alpine flip front in my 960 but Im always fogetting to pop the front. But by my figuring I dont think anyone would bother to look in a volvo (unless it was a T5R or something) thinking that it may have had anything other than the standard radio fitted.
I think if your bothered about it being stolen would be to make a plate the same size as the radio and spray it the same colour as the dash, so when left over the radio it looks like a blanking plate!!!

Peter Milnes
Apr 18th, 2003, 00:05
Some of them have a built in alarm. If you see a little red LED flashing (about once a second or couple of seconds) then it is coupled into the alarm if you have the Volvo Guard type. In any case the alarm should be sounding before the thief even gets into the car to take it.

All the best, Peter

cootuk
Apr 18th, 2003, 16:13
Plus then they have to get the Volvo radio code....which means knowing your car details....and means going into a dealership to ask for it.

Networkguy
Apr 19th, 2003, 23:36
The radio could be decoded by those in the know without going to a dealer.

But

Volvo radios have a few things going for them.

The look very dull
They are double din so won't fit many cars
They say Volvo all over them (just how uncool is that :) )

But most of them sound great but with all of the above, they are not going to attract loads of attention.

4 forty
Apr 20th, 2003, 13:34
thank-you for your replies to this topic,in answer to peter milnes, i did not know what the red light on the actual radio signified, thanks to you now i know, and mine has a one.

paul