PDA

View Full Version : rob_1234

rob_1234
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:38
I am planning to sell my old trusty 740 GLE estate and buy either an 850 or an mk 1 V70 estate.

Has anyone done the same ? What experiences have you had with reliability, comfort, performance, economy etc ?

Which is a better car the 850 or the mk 1 V70 ?

What are T5's like for reliability, service charges etc ?

Any comments very welcome

Thanks in advance

Rob

Simon Linton
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:49
Firstly, trawl through the 850/70 forum and the performance section forum for the good and bad about these cars.

They are more complicated electrically than the base 700 series, though just as complex as the more luxury versions.

Since I've had the 740 GLE and moved on to 850s I can speak from experience when I say that the 850 (and the 70 series) are streets ahead for driver pleasure, though not necessarily so for owner satisfaction.

They definitely require regular attention and premium fluids to operate reliably and the higher performance ones are enthusiast cars and should be looked after as such.

Apart from the R, mpg will be similar despite the smaller shell - and size is a real factor if you're lugging large loads; the 850s are not as large in the back as the 700 estates.

Of course, the later 70 series are, but they sound like they're out of your price range.

If you get a model with air conditioning, check that it is functioning reliably - if not, factor £1000 in for sorting it.