PDA

View Full Version : Suicide pedestrian?? Me?!?

morsing
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:32
After now eight motorists trying to kill me when I'm walking on the pavement and they're coming from a side road, I am starting to wonder who is actually right.

If I'm walking along a street on the pavement and cars are coming from the side street on to the main street, are they allowed to run me over when I'm crossing the side street??

I've been shouted at at least three times now and one almost got out of his car in anger. The first one didn't stop but managed to shout "suicide pedestrian" at me when he almost ran me over!!

P.S. I'm not giving in no matter what the law is. They will just have to stop for me.

Cheers

George Holmer
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:43
They have to give way.

George

Anglo-Swede resident near Leuven in Belgium

'87 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/M46, 200k)
'88 745 Turbo Intercooler (B230ET/M46, 270k)
'88 745 GL (B200E/M47, 200k)
'89 440 GL (B18K/M55, 90k)

morsing
Apr 28th, 2003, 07:47
Thanks. I found it hard to imagine otherwise.

I curious to why everyone stops with a smile at a zebra crossing but this is such a big problem.

Am I the only one experiencing this??

Cheers

Mike Clift
Apr 28th, 2003, 08:43
If you are already crossing the road and a car turns into the junction it must give way as you are already on the road.

However, you should still apply common sense and only attempt to cross if the road is visibly clear.

Saying you are not going to give way is fine, I just hope the next driver who approaches knows that as well.

Common sense says that you may have right of way, but if a car "gets" you common sense will have very little to do with your survival.

Always assume that the car driver has not seen you and keep out of the way. The attitude that you are not moving and they will have to give way .... I hope you are right but don't count on it.

"sucidide pedestrian" could be right.

Mike

morsing
Apr 28th, 2003, 09:07
I'm not saying that I step out in front of moving cars. I'm saying they deliberately speed up or try to scare me when I cross the road.

The two worst incidents was when I was walking on the right side of the road against traffic (on that side) and cars driving in my direction wanted to turn right (across oncoming traffic) crossing my path.
In both cases I didn't see the cars (ok, you'll probably say that I should have) because they were behing me and on the other side.

In both cases I was more than half way trough when they very aggressively turned towards me. One didn't stop so I had to jump (he was the one shouting suicide) the other stopped a few inches in front of me rolled down his window and shouted things a me.

Again: If I just look in the direction of a zebra crossing all traffic on both sides stop, so why this completely opposite behaviour???

Cheers

Mav_UK
Apr 28th, 2003, 09:52
I would say that if you are crossing when cars are coming down the road then you are a suicide pedestrian. The cars speeding up is not on, but then again neither is forcing a car to have to stop by stepping in front of it.

I think that the thing with a Zebra crossing is that it is a designated place for it, so people allow. Even then if you are not crossing then the car still has right of way, you only have to stop in a car when someone is on the crossing, not waiting to cross.

What really gets me as a driver is when people just cross within a hundred yards or so of a crossing, zebra or pelican!

What really gets me as a padestrian is when there are no crossings, heavy traffic and no one stops to let you cross (yes I do stop myself if it's obvious that the person waiting has no other way to get through).

Stu

morsing
Apr 28th, 2003, 09:59
I can't see how I'm forcing a car to stop. It has to stop anyway, I'm just taking 3 ft of it's stopping distance.

Cheers

Mav_UK
Apr 28th, 2003, 10:28
Unless there is a stop sign you do not have to stop at junctions if the way is clear, and you should be checking that the way is clear on your approach to the junction. Hence stepping in front of a car approaching a junction you are giving the driver one more thing to do. Play safe, let the car go - if the worst happens I garantee the car is not going to cry!

Stu

Mike Clift
Apr 28th, 2003, 10:29
And 3 feet can make the difference between contact or no contact, life or death (yours).

You choose.

sheerwater
Apr 28th, 2003, 11:33
Hi,
Generally in some european countries the traffic gives way to a pedestrian in the situation you describe. However in the UK we have kerbs denoting pedestrian/traffic areas. If the driver is turning left onto the main road there is every chance that he is looking right for traffic and pedestrians jumping off the pavement are in his blind spot. It really doesn't matter who is right or wrong in this matter. Common sense should make the pedestrian realise that the car is harder than their body!! If a collision should occur do you really want to spend part of your life waiting for police, filling in forms, attending court or possibly ending up dead or disabled. Same of course applies to the motorist. If a motorist was to proceed regardless, just because he has right of way and have a collision we would be calling him arrogant, stupid and lots of other names. I miss lots of pedestrians, vehicles and bikes every day because it makes sense to avoid them even if I have priority. To make the statement in print that you will carry on regardless into a dangerous situation and possibly cause an accident would be used against you in court. It must be remembered that a green traffic light does not mean go. It means proceed with caution and that is how ALL road/pavement users should behave. You also miss out the courtious bit. I dont barge through doorways knocking others out of the way so why should I behave like this on the streets!!!
Cheers Nige, PS what flowers do you like?

morsing
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:22
Roses! And I'll be sure to leave you any spare Volvos I have Nige, just contact my lawyer after I'm gone.

Okay, let's not get carried away here. I clearly said that I wasn't stepping out in front of cars. In the two incidents I described, the cars where stationary on the main road until I was half way through, THEN they started to turn and try to hit me.

In the cases where the cars have come from the side road I have in all cases made sure they had seen me and plenty of room to stop. The only reason I have been in danger in these situations is because they have let go of the brake to scare me.

I'm not saying I'm stepping out when the car is 20 ft away (dep. on speed). I still think I'm being pretty fair here.

Cheers

Mav_UK
Apr 28th, 2003, 12:30
Still stepping out when there is plenty of room to stop is stepping out in front of a car. Crossing where you can get to the other side before the car reaches you is what you should be looking at. Quite a few Dutch people I know think like this and the thought of what may happen when they go to the UK terrifies me!

With the stationary cars on the main road, fine they are stopped when you cross, but do you check that they are not likely to start to move, again if they have been waiting for a gap in the traffic they may not have seen you step out (motorist fault for not looking, but that brings us back to crying cars).

The problem exists in Holland with cyclists too, as they have are never responsible, can be the cause but are never responsible in court, they seem to think they are invincible and can sue any driver that gets near them. They forget that sue you have to be breathing.

Just let common sense, and a bit of forward planning do the thinking. Can I cross without causing anyone to alter thier course? Yes then cross, no then wait.

Sorry to rant a bit but carelessness on roads (drivers , motorbike riders, cyclists, skaters or pedestrians) is a pet hate of mine, it can cause so much agro for absolutely no reason.

Stu

PS Great thread though!

cootuk
Apr 28th, 2003, 14:10
I thought the highway code stated that you give way to pedestrians who are already crossing if you are turning into a side road.
Pedestrians should look both ways before crossing to ensure it is safe to cross.

But here in Bradford you're lucky if some people will even stop at a zebra crossing when you're on it,........some people seem to think it's a good place to overtake too.

morsing
Apr 28th, 2003, 15:19
I suppose the problem is I come from a country with cyclists. I DK the "road" consists of lanes for cars in the middle, then a bike lane on each side (you won't find a road without them) and then the pavement.

If you don't stop before the whole road you'll be hit by a bike and your car will cry. Well, you'll definately cry because the cycslist will beat you up real good.

No matter that you don't have bikes over here, I still think that you should stop BEFORE the road incl. pavement!! Why is it so difficult to stop 4ft earlier?? You can still see the road.

Cheers

migrator
Apr 28th, 2003, 16:16
UK Highway Code Rule 146 states that any vehicle turning from a major road into a minor road must give priority to any pedestrians ALREADY crossing the junction.

What is not clear from the Highway Code are the rules for priority when a pedestrian is crossing a junction and a vehicle is emerging or intending to emerge from the minor road to the major road.

My own opinion (and this is probably in keeping with many others) will vary depending on whether I am driving or walking.

Mav_UK
Apr 29th, 2003, 06:33
Actually most roads I know of in Leicester you can hardly see the road when you stop at the road, let alone 4 foot earlier. Plus if you get rid of all give way signs and make every junction a 'stop' can you imagine the congestion this would cause? Why can't you simply wait for the car to pass? I am not saying this a only a driver, in Holland it's very difficult to be only a driver, I walk, cycle, ride a motorbike and drive a car. And it still seems like the best option to me - less hassle all around and what UK children are (were?) taught froma very young age - simple rule, the car is much stronger than you and will cause you much more damage so treat with respect. The same should go for drivers of course, the car is a very dangerous machine, and should be treated as such.

As for the situation you describe with the cycle lanes, if the car if having to cross the cycle lane then it should be treated the same as crossing anyother junction. If there is a cycle coming down the road / cycle lane and you have to give way then that's exactly what you should do. And I maintain that I have still yet to see a car cry after an accident (I don't know, maybe in Leicester cars are just emotionally stunted :) ).

Stu