PDA

View Full Version : The best rust treatment??

Scott Stephen
May 5th, 2003, 19:31
Ive just finished treating some surface rust on the bottom leading edge of the wheel arches on my 944. After rubbing down to bare metal i treated the whole surface with a rust treatment called DINITROL RC800. I have used many rust eaters in the past such as KURUST etc.

I have found DINITROL RC800 to be the most effective. After 24hrs dryng time the rust turns jet black. I did a similar repair to my wifes car 6 months ago using this product and after a harsh salty winter the rust has not come back. At about £24 a litre it is expensive but worth it i'd say. Stick the name into a search engine to see whos supplying it ( I got mine off a friend )

4 forty
May 5th, 2003, 20:33
scott,

i have always used "finnigans no 1" made by the makers of waxoyl.
i have heard of dinitrol, but never seen it on the shelf anywere. i have visited this site www.rust.co.uk and found dinitrol fe-123 which sounds very similar to the rc 800 you mention. this site is worth a visit as it deeply describes the product.

paul

sheerwater
May 5th, 2003, 22:51
Hi,
There are lots of rust treatments similar to the one you describe which turns the iron oxide into I believe iron pentoxide (correct me if Im wrong) This effectively gives the ''blacked'' iron to many oxygen atoms and tries to give oxygen off rather than grab oxygen as iron does. Ive always found that the best way to treat rust is never to allow it to happen. Using the wax sprays on new cars (similar to waxoyle) stops rust from happening in box sections. Unfortunately new cars are not sprayed on every part and to be effective it needs renewing at regular intervals. My 740, now belonging to a friend was sprayed once a year and is 99.9% rust free. Its dead easy to do with a paraffin gun and a cheap compressor but really needs a warm day to dry out the white spirit solvent.
Dinitrol used to be a favourite rust prevention product but I believe that it was originally a franchised product done by professionals.
With the life of a company car being 3 years it was only done to private cars leaving us suckers to buy second hand untreated cars. Things are better in the industry now but Volvo used to coat cars in a thick tarmac quality undercoat. On my 940 they went to the waxoyle type undercoat and it has not got the same sound deadening quality.
I used to use a paper on raw steel which gave off a fume which stopped shiny steel going rusty. It was often used in toolboxes to stop tools going rusty and I thought that this was made by dinitrol.
Finigans now make a funny dip, not much use for cars. You dilute the stuff with water and dip items in it and it turns the rusty item black as you describe overnight. Cheers Nige