PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

mouse
May 20th, 2003, 14:53
what are the cheapest insurance companies out there for volvos?

Paul Wildsmith
May 21st, 2003, 17:55
Everyone will give you different suggestions. I've found the Volvo Owners Insurance (run by Sun Alliance, I think) very good in terms of cover. Price is so so - though did knock something off when I said I could get cheaper cover. Worth asking. Details somewhere on the volvo uk web site.

Allen
May 21st, 2003, 18:48
Said this before on another thread; Volvo Owners insurance is excellent for service, stayed with them for 10 years or so with no problems and a lot of peace of mind.

Now old and so Saga do it significantly cheaper.

You pays your money and takes your chance - as they say.

Allen

Briberlisher
May 22nd, 2003, 17:40
If your over 55 I would recommend RIAS Retired Insurance Advisory Service tele no 0800 55 2 100
I have been with them for a number of years now, each year I check out all the other companies who send me their brochures and they can't match RIAS.I also use them for my house insurance.
briber

Allen
May 22nd, 2003, 19:35
Thanks, Briber.

I'll look out for that on renewal. There has to be some advantage to be 55 plus!!!

Allen

sheerwater
May 22nd, 2003, 23:34
Hi,
Just to add my pennyworth.
Ive shopped on the internet for insurance for my daughter who is just about to drive. Quotes vary considerably and it pays to shop hard. Some ignore points on the licence, some ask for your average mileage, it depends who you ask. Each has a varied and wierd way of calculating the risk even taking into consideration whether you are married and have kids. Good quotes have been obtained by me from norwichuniondirect and the coop insurance, C.I.S. To give an example my 940 2.3 is insured by norwichuniondirect fully comp,me and spouse, protected no claim and 6000 average for 291 and the V70 diesel with 15k miles average for 450.
Both have full business use by us both for two types of business. Mind you TPFT on my daughters fiat panda with the coop was £89 (me and wife driving but not daughter)!!! Daughters cheapest quote on same vehicle is 660 with provisional license. 2000+ TPFT on the Volvo 940 with daughter only driving(nobody else on policy) cheers Nige

Mav_UK
May 23rd, 2003, 06:14
When I started (1994) I was paying 900gbp for a 1978 957cc Fiesta TPO. That was the cheapest, the most expensive was 1600gbp.

I used to be insured with Norwich Union Direct, but this year I changed as I requested the policy be changed from fully comp to TPFT as the Spit will be layed up in a locked garage until I get the funds for a rebuild (couple of years min). The quote actually went up from 550 to an undisclosed amount! Now insured with Footman James for 70gbp, but still fully comp! Try getting some fully comp quotes for your Daughter Nige....

Stu

sheerwater
May 23rd, 2003, 07:59
Hi Stu,
You mean insurance quotes for her trainers of course as she wont be able to aford the insurance!!! Insurance is wierd , Ive just been told by one company that she could get TPFT cheaper than she could get Third party only so your theory of Fully Comp is worth investigating. The car only cost 33gbp in the first place (prior to all minor faults being rectified)
and it passed the mot first time!!! Cheers Nige

alchemyuk
May 25th, 2003, 22:54
We use Direct Line and I cannot say enough good things about them. Quoted £560 from Volvo Owners Ins, got for £460 from DirectLine and got better cover £100 excess and VOI wanted £200.

I have had claims with both Direct Line and VOI and for me Direct Line is a lot easyier to deal withas a company! The staff are much nicer and they work longer hours.

Guy
May 27th, 2003, 21:53
Hi,
My insurance renewal is due in a couple of weeks,I have shopped around and visited various websites and the cheapest fully comp cover was from www.tesco.co.uk by quite afew pounds. they do quotes on line,worth a try.

Guy 850 Tdi 1996

mike s
Jun 5th, 2003, 00:04
I was insured with NU Direct last year.
When I had my renewal notice, I 'phoned around, including HSBC(my Bank). HSBC's quote was nearly £100 LESS than NU Direct.
When I received my policy, guess who it was with?
That's right-NU!
Tried to get an explanation out of NU but was waffled at.
I reckon Insurance Companies are ripping people off through ignorance year after year.
The answer is:- SHOP AROUND
Mike Sterland

erch02
Jun 6th, 2003, 14:55
I have always found that if you get a cheaper quote elsewhere but are still happy with your insurer then go back to them as most of the time they will try to match the cheaper quote. I saved over £50 this way a few years back.