PDA

View Full Version : 480 Info Centre

244T
May 29th, 2011, 16:08
There appears to be no display whatsoever...

Any ideas what could be wrong please. Where do I start?

dcw
May 29th, 2011, 19:59
Hi

Are you sure it's definitely no display at all, and not just the halogen bulb that's gone making it extremely faint and almost impossible to see?

Otherwise first check would be that the wire to the selector switch hasn't come adrift (prise out clock is easiest and check behind switch....)

David

Volvo Dave
May 29th, 2011, 20:55
The info display has a halagon blub fitted so if this has gone the display will be blank. I have had a similar issue with the one fitted to my 460 turbo but in my case the info centre was still lit and the display came back on when I tapped the clocks. Another thing to check with relation to the info centres is the state of the wiring on the back of the alternator as poor connections here can cause info centre faults.

B20F
May 30th, 2011, 16:30
Here (http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/volvo480/faq/index.php)
you can find a howto replace the dashboard lighs. Click on body&interior and then on replacing dashboard lightbulbs. Best is to replace all the bulbs while you're at it. The special halogen bulb can be bought at the dealer, not cheap though! The other 1.2w bulbs are normal priced.

244T
May 30th, 2011, 21:24
The bulb has blown i think... but I cant even see the faintest glimmer on the display

I have now got the dash board out so will have a closer look at things

Thanks again to you all

I will keep you posted

Ulrikas PA
Jun 5th, 2011, 13:33
I've a related question about the instrument cluster bulb replacement if anyone can help please ?

I've read the instructions about removing the dashboard but can't work out exactly how many different types of bulbs are in the main binnacle area (covering the illumination of the speedo, revcounter, info system ) ?

Assuming that I might as well replace all the bulbs as per the advice, I'd like to know what I need to order before I strip the dashboard down so do in one hit (remove and replace).

My local Volvo dealer tends to have to order most of the stuff I want, (including my last oil filter!) so could you tell me what I need to order ?

Many thanks.

B20F
Jun 5th, 2011, 20:38
You need the 1 special halogen bulb for the infocentre. The rest are all 12v-1,2w bulbs. (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=6981) How many you need are mentioned in the above howto link in my earlier answer, just count all the "7's" in the drawing.
For the illumination of switches, contactlock, VEM you also need these (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=515_544&products_id=6661) Can't tell you how many though, but these you only need to replace if they fail. Only for the info centre one you need the dealer. I don't think those are elsewhere available. The other ones are pretty common so they can be bought at almost any automotivestore.

244T
Jun 5th, 2011, 20:38
Well there are three diffwerent ones,

The ones for thr oil pressure ets
ilumination of the speedo
and illumination of the info centre

i would just go the the local auto electrical place or motor factors, i got the halogen one for £2.50 rather than the £11.99 as asked by Volvo

sarumboy
Jun 6th, 2011, 19:04
Guys . . . while we're talking about dashboard bulbs, what type of halogen bulb is needed for the info centre? Is it a 'G4' type? That is, 2 pin capless 5 watt, or what is it? I don't want to remove the dash to find out, then have to order one if its that special. (Won't be ordering from Volvo!!) Cheers, Sarumboy.

244T
Jun 7th, 2011, 17:38
The halogen bulb in the info centre is :

Bosch BLB433T

Just thought it may prove useful, I bought a couple for about £2.50 each

244T
Jun 7th, 2011, 22:12
I have replaced the bulb, cleaned the contacts on the alternator, checked the fuse and the info centre still does not work. Has anybody any ideas? Or got a spare instrument panel that I could try please? The plugs on the back are green and grey.
Thanks again.

B20F
Jun 8th, 2011, 12:45
The infocentre and radio share the same brown power wire, not oncommon that the wire came loose behind the dash. Can even be that the radio is still working but the ic not because the connection from the ic is behind the one from the radiio. Check the fuses for the radio and info centre #7&21 iirc. And don't forget to pull the mass connector from the battery if you're working on the wiring!

pooley29978
Jun 11th, 2011, 21:43
I have a 94 440 turbo which has the info centre which went haywire all segments would light up then nothing would light up i traced it down to dry soldered joints with in the cluster which just needed resoldering if u need some advice on a fix give me a bell isle help the best i can PHONE NO 07985512388