PDA

View Full Version : Fred Dibnah dead

cootuk
Nov 6th, 2004, 19:02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3988781.stm

"I'm an old fashioned bloke and it is nice for the old school to get some recognition"

RIP

vjck_uk
Nov 6th, 2004, 19:54
A great loss to the world of entertainment.
He gave many ,many people(myself included) a great deal of joy and laughs through the years.
One of life's characters and seemed to be a genuinely nice bloke.
Condolences to his fans and family.
Vaughan

warthog
Nov 6th, 2004, 20:01
Thanks for letting us know.

I had the privilage of meeting and chatting with Fred a few years ago at a vintage tractor meet. He was, in real life, just like he was on the TV. You went away even more enthusiastic about the achievements of the Victorian Engineers and the elegance of their creations. He gave fresh, clear insight into the mechanisms that shaped the industrial age.

He was a character who called a spade a spade and the world will be a poorer place without him.

neil stevenson
Nov 6th, 2004, 21:29
How come it's always the good guys who die early.

He was one of those gentlemen who you warm to on first sight. I loved his programmes as he passed on his love of all things mechanical.

He will be missed.

cootuk
Nov 6th, 2004, 21:58
It makes me wonder whether he would prefer heaven or hell---a heaven of fluffy clouds and no pollution could bore him silly, but a hell full of roaring furnaces, coal dust, smoke, grime, then he'd be in his element.
Maybe his heaven and hells are reversed?

andy1
Nov 6th, 2004, 22:10
well said vaugan a real sad loss, as you say a dead genuine bloke r.i.p fred

migrator
Nov 8th, 2004, 21:38
So he's finally run out of steam.

When he first appeared on our tellies he seemed to be a bit of a brash individual but I mellowed to him over the years. His knowledge of the steam engine and its various uses was indeed very good. As were his antics at levelling some of the great objects on our skylines.

More recently his programs on the Victorians and their engines and buildings were quite an eye opener. Not only knowledgable but very happy to get his hands dirty too.

Another to be sadly missed.