PDA

View Full Version : hello all

rocket ron
Nov 8th, 2004, 19:14
hello to all, i have been reading these forums for some time now, but have only just got round to registering after recently retiring and buying a v70 d5 to tow my beloved tourer, which i hope will give many miles of happy motoring /caravaning, i must say its a very informative and interesting site, not altogether what i expected with a large section of you fellas very keen on the performance side of things, however many of you appear very knowledable (though i must say some of the more switched on types seem quite hot headed!, and not quite as i expected volvo owners to be, but that as likely as not says more about me than anything else!)anyway best wishes and safe motoring to you all,ron

Paul Wildsmith
Nov 8th, 2004, 19:43
I think you'll find a good cross section of Volvo drivers here, from those as you describe to those probably more like me (a bit staid) - until I drive my wife's C70 that is.

You can be assured of a welcome and advice on every (Volvo) subject under the sun.

Paul
VOC S80 Register Keeper

warthog
Nov 8th, 2004, 22:13
Welcome Ron,

I hope you'll find passion for Volvos a plenty on these forums. I never cease to be amazed at the time and effort many contributors spend on helping and assisting others in their search for answers and more knowledge of the marque. You are right, some views are expressed with gusto, but that's possibly because they care about what they're discussing.

You've got a great car in the D5 (IMO), given the funds it's possibly what I would replace the T5 with. Please make your presence known on the 850/V70 and Performance forum and join in the fun!

Cheers

KeatV70D5SE
Nov 9th, 2004, 18:46
Ron, good luck with the V70 - I love mine.

Believe it or not you have got a "performance" car. Ask someone with a T5 to accelerate from 50-70 with a 1400kg tourer on the back - I know who my money's on....

I admit this isn't a performance test you see on top gear every week but you get the point.

cootuk
Nov 9th, 2004, 22:17
Welcome.
I too was surprised by some of the owners on here (pleasantly) and also surprised that Bob has to reprimand sometimes when things go a little ott. There are certainly plenty of Volvos out there that are a wolf in sheeps clothing, though if you want to pootle around then that's ok with most people too.

rocket ron
Nov 14th, 2004, 19:47
thanks for the replies chaps,yes i know what you mean about it being a "performance car", im far to long in the tooth of course to be a "boy racer", but the performance is certainly impressive, i really do appreciate the vast amounts of torque available from very low rpm it makes towing a joy,one very small gripe however,ive elected to try and carry out as much basic maintenance as possible being a poor pensioner etc etc (which will be rather a culture shock as the last time i picked up a spanner i was in the raf working on lightnings!) and having a good look around the car it appears the vast majority of the screws /bolts are of the torx type why do modern cars use them? i find them inferior in every way to conventional hex head or socket cap heads, ah well thats progress i suppose i will just have to get myself a decent set, best regards ron

warthog
Nov 14th, 2004, 21:34
Hi,

I think Torx are being increasingly used because they are better than Cross head or 'Allen' type fixings for integration into the manufaturing process. By that I mean that they are better suited to automated power tool assembly.

Please correct this view if it's incorrect.

Peter Milnes
Nov 14th, 2004, 23:39
I went to Halfords and bought myself two sets of spline tools. One was for six-spline (Torx) and the other was 12-spline for the bigger sizes. I find them quite ok as regards fitness for purpose.

All the best, Peter.

andy1
Nov 15th, 2004, 11:26
hi ron glad to hear you got yourself a d5, less glad to hear you will be towing one of those 'orrible hutches around on the back of it!, however youve got a fair bit of poke to pull it so no excuses!!, coundnt agree more about the torx fastners they are a backward step in my view, however brians right in saying they were devoloped for production reasons by the aerospace company textron who also gave us the tri-wing head which is even worse but thankfully havent appeared on cars to my knowledge, the other main reason is compared to the "allen" type they are a lot cheaper to produce due to the fact that the "sharp corners" of the internal hex on the allen head are its weak point and to acheive acceptable strengh in this area require a highish spec matl. to be used, the torx on the other hand has nice radiused internal splines which is inherently stronger and a lower spec (cheaper) steel can be used, the main thing with torx tools is get the very best you can afford go for a known make britool/ facom stahlwilli, gedore, snap on(!!!) etc as cheap ones are total nightmare and just lead to ruined heads/tempers, i recently bought a britool set off e bay which included the long series type as well for abour fifteen quid and are very good quality

Major Look
Dec 1st, 2004, 13:56
Hi Ron and all. This seems a friendly place! I agree with Ron that the cross-section of users on these forums is quite amazing and refreshing. I just ordered a V70 D5 with most of the goodies except the built-in zimmer frame. I'm particularly looking forward to using the 13 speaker sound system with the sub woofer. It's a shame that Volvo still haven't got around to digital radios yet. Of course, they will do as soon as I take delivery of mine with the analogue radio...I'm a bit old to be a "boy racer" but I hope to "out-thump" some of them with the subby!

rocket ron
Dec 2nd, 2004, 18:34
hello major, your most welcome, glad to hear your getting a v70 d5, smashing vehicle, you will not be disappointed i can assure you, im completly over the moon with mine,your certainly right about this being a great place, everyone is most helpfull, with as you say a splendid cross section of folks with plenty to say for themselves which is how it should be, i must say i have had a good chuckle reading the general forums lately some great threads its just like being back in the "crew room" at times! best regards ron