PDA

View Full Version : Can I fit 205/55 16" tyres onto rims designed for 205/50 16" tyres?

Ginger_Monkey
Nov 22nd, 2004, 20:09
Hi, Yet another question, it must be like having a 6 year old in the forum!!

I have decided to buy some 850 wheels for my 960. As I understand it, 850s had 205/50 16" tyres. Would it cause a problem putting my 205/55 16" tyres from the 960 on these rims?

Thanks

Adam

mraldonnelly
Nov 22nd, 2004, 21:14
Hi Adam,

The tyres will fit the wheels but fitting such tyres on an 850 causes some rubbing in the arch on full lock.

I haven't got a clue what affect it would have on a 960. I don't even know if the wheels would fit on a 960.

Regards

Andy

Peter Milnes
Nov 23rd, 2004, 00:13
As long as you buy 16" 850 wheels your tyres should fit fine. The wheels you have should be 16" 850 wheels in any case. If they are aftermarket wheels and the offset is 43mm you do not need to purchase other wheels. Unless you are wanting a different pattern wheel that is!!

All the best, Peter.

T240
Nov 23rd, 2004, 01:03
Hi Adam,

According to Pirelli - and I'm not arguing with them, the general rule on going to lower profile tyres with bigger rims is thus.

Up one width section, down one profile section, up one rim size.

So, for example, if you run: 195/70 14, you would go to 205/60 15, and the rolling radius comes out pretty much the same.

Not being intimate with 960s', I don't know the size you're running now, but you get the general idea.

As Peter pointed out, offset/inset ratio is important - otherwise you start to run into suspension geometry problems - and you just don't want to go there.

To end on a cautionary note:

No matter what, though, get your speedo recalibrated - it will not be as accurate after the change, as the rolling radius of the new wheel/tyre combo (if you go by the rules) is only "aproximately" the same; and as you must know, "Plod" takes no prisoners.
Apart from that - don't forget to inform your insurance company; otherwise if you have a bump your insurance is null and void, and you're looking at a possible prison sentence.

Best,

Tony

Ginger_Monkey
Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:51
Hi Peter,

I am afraid to say that you've hit the nail on the head! I don't think that I am a poser, and I have never bought a set of wheels for asthetic reasons before, but I HATE my the wheels that I have at the moment. As someone else on this forum pointed out, they look like plastic hub caps as they are far too 'solid'.

So, I thought that I would get a set of 850 T5 wheels........

Do you know anyone who would like to buy a perfectly servicable set of 960 wheels....

Nick__allen
Nov 25th, 2004, 22:24
this web site may help

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Ginger_Monkey
Nov 25th, 2004, 23:47
Thanks!

TheJoyOfSix
Nov 30th, 2004, 12:11
Note (for others who may be tempted to do likewise) that 850 wheels will ONLY fit 1995> 960's without problems - for all other RWD Volvos the offsets are different and spacers will have to be used.

Peter Milnes
Nov 30th, 2004, 23:25
Do please remember that spacers will not correct for offset if the required wheel's offset is larger than the car's that they are to be fitted to and both are positive.

All the best, Peter.

Ginger_Monkey
Dec 1st, 2004, 22:06
Hi,

I've bought a set of 850 T5 wheels from this forum, and, as my car is a late 96 model, they will hopefully fit straight on! They have come with 205/50/R16 tyres, so I'll put my tyres on to the new rims to avoid speedo issues (not swimming trunks)!

Peter Milnes
Dec 2nd, 2004, 00:04
I am sure that you will be well pleased with your efforts and should have plenty of time to let others admire your motor. Perhaps you will be ready to bring her to the next National BKV at Eastnor Castle, nr Ledbury, Herefordshire on 11th/12th June 2005. Who knows, you may walk off with a prize.

All the best, Peter.