PDA

View Full Version : Importing an old Volvo to the UK.

Judson
Dec 19th, 2004, 19:45
I will be moving from Sweden to the UK in February next year and will bring my Amazon with me. It is a 1966 car with a B18 engine, B20 cylinder head, and fitted with a supercharger. Will I have any problems at all getting the car through an MOT inspection? I'm thinking in particular of anti-pollution requirements.

Can anyone recommend a good Volvo mechanic in the Weybridge area?

George Holmer
Dec 19th, 2004, 20:03
As a Swede who has lived many years in the UK, there is no way the UK have more stringent requirements than Sweden. I cannot see why you should have any problems. How long have you owned the car and how long have you lived in Sweden? There are special EU rules on taking cars with you when you move.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 Volvo 945 Polar LPT
'87 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2

vinny
Dec 20th, 2004, 10:08
George is right in that there are rules re bringing vehicles into Great Britain but people don't seem to have to much trouble.The mot test emissions are more relaxed the older the car.There is no way it would have to come anywhere near the emission standards for a modern vehicle.The brake efficiency is also a lower figure for an older vehicle
Good luck

5lab
Dec 20th, 2004, 13:27
do you want to get the car re-registered over here? if so you have to pass a more stringent test than an mot to check everything works - i think you need side indicator repeaters, rear foglights and reversing lights (not 100% sure) which are not compulsary elsewhere..

Judson
Dec 20th, 2004, 19:47
George,
thank you for your reply. I have lived some 55 years in Sweden and owned the car since 1984, when I inherited it from my father. I used to drive the Amazon in my early twenties and it has, so far, served three generations of my family well. I have had a number of cars in between but prefer the Amazon since driving it is such fun, possibly because of the supercharged engine.

morsing
Dec 20th, 2004, 19:52
>do you want to get the car re-registered over here? if so you
>have to pass a more stringent test than an mot to check
>everything works - i think you need side indicator repeaters,
>rear foglights and reversing lights (not 100% sure) which are
>not compulsary elsewhere..

Surely not? I've seen plenty cars without rear fog lights and even reversing light.
What's a side indicator repeater?

Judson
Dec 20th, 2004, 19:52
Yes, I plan to register the car in the UK and use it for normal everyday driving; so, I guess that the more stringent requirements will probably apply. They don't seem that daunting though, except possibly for the side indicator repeaters, which would require body surgery.

George Holmer
Dec 20th, 2004, 20:47
I am very sceptical to the idea that they would want side repeaters fitted to the car, there are plenty of pictures for a start in the gallery here of UK registered Amazons with no side repeaters. But super charged engine.... that sounds interested!

Are you Swedish or British by birth? Why are you moving to the UK? Sorry if I am being to nosey but Swedes living in England and Brits living in Sweden interest me.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 Volvo 945 Polar LPT
'87 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2

5lab
Dec 21st, 2004, 11:37
well, as far as i know the inicators ahve to be visible from the side of the car - something like that. i dont know whether this is the case or not for the amazon - perhaps on an older car its not required, but i know from someone who was importing a quick car from japan that he had to fit a rear fog light and side repeaters.

Mav_UK
Dec 21st, 2004, 15:57
As far as I am aware it depends on the age of the vehicle.

If the car is post jun 1980 (or there abouts) it must have rear fogs fitted.

If the car if post 88 (IIRC) it must have side repeaters.

Also IIRC as long as you have had the car for longer than 6 months you should be fine with importing it for very little money in the UK - but don't quote me on that :)

Stu