PDA

View Full Version : surely not

deanrosc
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:26
Hi all,
hope santa brought you everything. My mother in law bought me a subscription to top gear magazine which i was well made up with. til i opened it. Amongst the usual barrage of crap leaflets in the middle was a coupon for £3 off "top gears book of crap cars". And on the front of this book was a 240, and not a banger, it looked like an old brochure when it was new. Now i dont think the 240 is a pretty car, but crap? Do these people actually drive these cars before coming to this conclusion? Sheep, thats what they are, someone says a car is crap and every other critic agrees, not having the balls to stand up and say "hey thats not that bad". Makes my blood boil.

welsh wizard
Jan 4th, 2005, 12:55
quite agree boyo these folk are almost as bad as those sad geeks who think that everything with a volvo badge cannot possibly be a pile of junk!....get real man, the car in question WAS crap, live with it!

deanrosc
Jan 4th, 2005, 13:04
hope your not implying that of me. i had a 480. now IMHO that was a pile of junk. And although the 240 wasn't the best car ever made, it surely cant be compared to the allegro or ital. And seeing as this is a volvo forum, from the VOC, dont act so shocked that i/we are a bit biased.Was it just the "sheep" bit that interested you? :-)

222s
Jan 4th, 2005, 13:26
The book is slagging off the 262C for its 'pimptastic' styling, rather than the rest of the 200 Series.

1967 Amazon 122S B20 Estate
1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

deanrosc
Jan 4th, 2005, 13:34
thanks for clearing that up. "pimptastic" now thats a great word.

S_Lock
Jan 4th, 2005, 16:57
I saw this book in Waterstones and to be honest there was loads of cars in it that I actually quite like!

That may say a lot for me! (although it was written by the little guy off top gear so who gives a monkeys what he thinks!!!!)

deanrosc
Jan 4th, 2005, 17:16
richard hammond he's called. He used to be on Men and Motors and was quite good on there. Now he's just clarksons yes man.

Citizen.Agfa
Jan 5th, 2005, 20:03
Which reminds me of the old saying: "Don't be a yes man, if the boss says no, you say no!"

Nick.

5lab
Jan 5th, 2005, 20:51
its actually written by richard porter, the guy who does www.sniffpetrol.com - a very very very funny website.

Citizen.Agfa
Jan 6th, 2005, 19:16
Thanks for the link, I just been and copped a look; you're damn right about it being v.v.v. funny, I had to wipe my eyes before I could type this!
Nick.

deanrosc
Jan 7th, 2005, 00:54
i second that. funniest thing i've seen in ages. The jersey advert about mansell nearly made me pee myself.