PDA

View Full Version : V50 (2005) Radio/climate Display Problems...

collangm
Jul 26th, 2011, 15:42
Hi, I own a Volvo V50 with the High-Performance Radio and Auto-Climate control system. Since owning the car, bought second-hand from a dealer last year, I have noticed a periodic fault that causes the Radio/Climate system to shut-down completely after engine start. It seems to coincide during the following;
1. Engine ignition start
2. Engine revs at 2000 revs for about 10-seconds
3. Engine revs drop to just below 1000 revs
4. Car put into gear and pull away...display shuts down (intermittantly - 1 in 10 attemps)

To clear, the ignition has to be turned off and I msut wait for all electrical system to shut down - usually after 20-30 secs from engine shutdown. Restart and all is okay until the next occurance.

If I try to pull away while revs are in the 2000 range this can also occur, or is more likely to happen?

Has anyone had any experience of this. Sound like either an electrical or firmware issue to me but thought I'd test the water first before trying to get ripped off...sorry, I meant fixed! ;)

My main concern is that when this happens it disables the audible warning emitted by the reverse parking sensor. I've begun to rely on this far too often of late and nearly hit a car this morning while parking at work because of this issue!

Sorry, forgot to mention that this is a 2.4i Auto model.

t5_monkey
Jul 26th, 2011, 16:13
Hi, I own a Volvo V50 with the High-Performance Radio and Auto-Climate control system. Since owning the car, bought second-hand from a dealer last year, I have noticed a periodic fault that causes the Radio/Climate system to shut-down completely after engine start. It seems to coincide during the following;
1. Engine ignition start
2. Engine revs at 2000 revs for about 10-seconds
3. Engine revs drop to just below 1000 revs
4. Car put into gear and pull away...display shuts down (intermittantly - 1 in 10 attemps)

To clear, the ignition has to be turned off and I msut wait for all electrical system to shut down - usually after 20-30 secs from engine shutdown. Restart and all is okay until the next occurance.

If I try to pull away while revs are in the 2000 range this can also occur, or is more likely to happen?

Has anyone had any experience of this. Sound like either an electrical or firmware issue to me but thought I'd test the water first before trying to get ripped off...sorry, I meant fixed! ;)

My main concern is that when this happens it disables the audible warning emitted by the reverse parking sensor. I've begun to rely on this far too often of late and nearly hit a car this morning while parking at work because of this issue!

Sorry, forgot to mention that this is a 2.4i Auto model.

They did get a software recall/update at some point... check with Volvo to see if yours has been done? any main stealer should be able to confirm this with you.

cymroboi
Jul 26th, 2011, 20:41
i have a 2006 v 50 which the radio was playing up the same time as i had starting isues ,it went back to the maindealer for a software update on the sound system. mine was locking up or the volume would turn off by it self !!!but after the update ive had no further problems ,i couldent tell you how much it cost because it was under warranty when i got it done..

collangm
Jul 27th, 2011, 12:09
i have a 2006 v 50 which the radio was playing up the same time as i had starting isues ,it went back to the maindealer for a software update on the sound system. mine was locking up or the volume would turn off by it self !!!but after the update ive had no further problems ,i couldent tell you how much it cost because it was under warranty when i got it done..

Thanks. I don't suppose you have any further information on this as my local dealer stated that there were no recalls for the radio system for my model of vehicle? Just the hand-brake issue that was done before I purchased it. I'm reluctant to send this into the dealer as their costs are, shall we say, over-hyped if this is a common issue or software issue!

Strictly speaking, if it IS a software issue then surely this should be updated for free as it would indicate a manufacturing defect?

Thanks.

cymroboi
Jul 27th, 2011, 19:45
mine wasnt done as a recall ,my radio was plying up at the time of my starting problems,all they said to me was that they had updated the software for the radio the same time they done the main ecu and it cured the problem .
so i think you have to go back to the maindealer and get them to check your vehicle to see if an update is available for your system !!!