PDA

View Full Version : audio integration, iPod, minidisc etc

rawmusic
Feb 2nd, 2005, 23:06
I have heard strong whispers that there will soon be a way of integrating all of your portable audio devices into your existing car stereos, whether you have a CD changer or not. The way I understand it, the wiring is split from the CD changer and with some clever wiring and relays, will result in a 3.5mm stereo jack socket somewhere in the front of your car. Additional options apparently are going to include integrated power for iPods by way of hard wiring in the dock. If there is no changer, then seemingly this is no problem either. I will keep my ears to the ground.

My old renault had a jack input on the head, and this was so simple to connect stuff into. Why this system is not more widely available I don't know. At least I am keeping my fingers crossed that my information is true and that hopefully a cost efficient way of getting my iPod library into my car is not far away.

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
VOC member

Paul Wildsmith
Feb 3rd, 2005, 19:11
some info here:
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DU&Product_Code=I11_VOLVO_R1&Category_Code=IA_VOLVO

KeatV70D5SE
Feb 5th, 2005, 17:43
A friend of mine has a 1-series BMW with a jack plug between the 2 front seats. Apparently it's here so that the kids in the back that know how to work these iPod things can press the buttons. It is selected just like changing between CD, radio etc...

R3k
Feb 7th, 2005, 14:10
Not cheap, but definitely tempting :)

Thanks for the link,

Graeme

George Holmer
Feb 7th, 2005, 14:38
I have bought the Dension headunit with a built-in 40 Gb harddrive. A revolution in music listening, for me at least. I can drive from Barcelona to Stockholm and not run out of music or even have to change a CD.

1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto

Daniel M
Feb 7th, 2005, 17:14
Hi.

I have a Kenwood headunit, and i bought a wire that plugged into my CD changer port with two RCA's on the end. Then i bought an RCA to 3.5mm jack lead, and voila, my iPod now plays through my stereo. My adaptor cost £30, and the RCA/Jack wire cost me £10. Mind you, i do have to change the songs through the iPod as opposed to pressing the skip button on the headunit, but it doesn't bother me. Well worth looking into...

Dan M

Philip Fisher
Feb 10th, 2005, 13:58
Looking at that link it looks very expensive. Try "Source" in Chapeltown area of Sheffield (J35a M1). I got a fully integrated active cradle for my Sony headunit and it was only £90. Again, fantastic quality and every CD I have ever owned is available to me in the car at a touch of a button.

Cheers

PEGE63
Feb 16th, 2005, 13:17
I got the 'Monster wireless FM transmitter' from the US for our iPOD.
Works a treat in the 945 and it charges the unti aswell. Have added power sockets in the glove box and now have a feed for this and the sat.nav. I think I paid $60.00 for it but have seen it cheaper elsewhere.

Daniel M
Feb 17th, 2005, 17:15
Thats one i looked into, but, interesting fact here....the FM transmitters are actually illegal in this country. Some stupid law say's that they are like the equivalent to a pirate radio station, taking up the bandwith and all that.

How d you get on with the sound quality in the car via an FM transmitter anyway? I know of a few people who had reception problems in their car, said it sounded like a poor radio station sometimes. Can't see how the signal can be bad because it's being transmitted from within the car.

judgeman
Feb 20th, 2005, 16:01
Hi,

Kinda on the same wavelength of Ipod, I have an Archos hard drive unit (www.archos.com) it's a great little device - not only does it store MP3s and WMAs, I can also record direct from the TV (or any source connected to a scart control box). I can record DVD quality films onto it, and watch them back later.

Anyhoo, I want to mount this on the dash of my '96 850. I have removed the Nokia 6310 wired car kit (still complete, if anyone wants one for next to nothing), and I'm now ready to make the bracket to mount the Archos device.

I have two options at present to get the Archos connected to the head unit - a Volvo SC 801 original double din unit. The first is through a casette adaptor (very crude, and sometimes noisy). The other is through an FM transmitter. I've a Belkin one which is digital, and I can select any frequency to transmit on. However, this isn't all that successful, since the aerial for the stereo is in the back window on the 850, and I get interference and the sound quality suffers.

The best option is to hardwire the Archos to the head unit. I have done this in the past with a Kenwood headunit, as one of these posts says. However, is this possible on the Volvo SC 801? Does anyone know of a cable that would plug into the CD changer din socket, and then I could configure it so I had a 3.5mm jack the other end to plug into the Archos??? Am I right in thinking that the SC 801 is in fact an Alpine unit? Maybe then Alpine do a cable that will do what I want?

Any help gratefully received! I'm off to make the bracket....

Pic below is of the back of the unit and the cd changer plug/socket.

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/dc/user_files/736.jpg

PEGE63
Mar 1st, 2005, 13:30
I actually thought that the FM tranmitter was illegal aswell but the auto electrican who installed the power sockets said that it was OK.
Its kind of weird that its not on sale if this was the case especially as one can (could?) buy CD changers that were FM modulated for easy of installation. Never mind, I am happy with mine as is. It works fine in my car, occationally you get interference from local stations but its easy to change frequenzy and I'd recommend that you allow some presents for this (for RADIO I use all 'FM1' presets, for iPod all the 'FM2' presets).