PDA

View Full Version : New S40/V50

Darth Paul
Feb 3rd, 2005, 15:39
First of all, hello!

Does anyone know if and when these cars will be offered with the D5 engine? I have an S40 D SE on order but would prefer the D5...

TIA

5lab
Feb 3rd, 2005, 16:12
Hot oil treatment for new Volvos
24 February 2004

Volvo is likely to offer a high-powered diesel engine in its new S40 saloon and V50 estate.

Currently the only diesel model available in the S40 and V50 line-up is the 136bhp 2.0-litre, but Volvo says it is considering offering its 2.5-litre D5 diesel already used in other models.

Developing 163bhp, the D5 engine should enable the cars to reach 60mph in under nine seconds, achieve a top speed of 140mph and return around 45mpg on the combined cycle.

Volvo has already confirmed that it will offer a cheaper entry-level 1.6-litre diesel engine in the S40, which will go on sale late this year. The previous-generation S40, still on sale branded as the S40 Classic, will then be discontinued.

from whatcar.com - nearly a year old though, so i dont know how valid it is..

Peter Milnes
Feb 5th, 2005, 00:00
They are in the dealers with the 2 Litre Ford engine same as the smaller one of the two used in the Jaguar and Mondeo. They are well finished and certainly seem like a capable smaller saloon/estate. They also have the T5 engined car in estate and saloon versions.

All the best, Peter.

Darth Paul
Feb 5th, 2005, 02:36
Yes I know about the 2.0L D engine – I have one on order! I just wondered about the D5 is all. I'm not getting the car till March, and if there was a D5 in the pipeline I would have cancelled and waited.

So anyone have any experience of the new S40/V50 with the 2.0D? Is it what you expected? Is the engine suited to the car? Obviously I only had a brief test drive. (When are dealers going to learn that we need proper test drives?) Still, I am very excited about getting it. We're currently running a Ford C-Max, which is less than a year old, but which has had so many problems that we want to get rid. Funnily enough, we seem to be sticking with Ford! And the engine is Ford.......... This is my worry.

The car as a package seems amazing though. BMW quality, with far more standard kit, with a much lower price. Can't lose really. (Offer up a quick prayer). It may not be rear drive, but it's a family car not a sports car. We have an MR2 Roadster for the fun. This is the first time I've even looked at a Volvo – in the past they've always been too boxy for my taste. But this one is a real head-turner. And the interior is beautiful. I hope that this is the beginning of a long relationship with Volvo.

Actually, anyone who owns one with ANY engine – what are your opinions/niggles/praises? I've read the various posts and know about the lack of a foot rest!

Looking forward to spending as much time on here as MR2ROC (Roadster Owners Club)! Hope I'm not too much of a pain with all of the questions.

Paul

KeatV70D5SE
Feb 5th, 2005, 17:37
I imagine you've already tried one but if you haven't then have a go in a D5 engined car. I know the V70 may not look as swish as the V50 but it has a lot of grunt. You'll spend more time driving than looking at it..

5lab
Feb 6th, 2005, 01:55
thats true, but i imagine the price difference between a v50 and v70 is pretty vast.

why not see if you can hire a v50 for a while, to check you like it, before signing for delivery?

Networkguy
Feb 7th, 2005, 13:26
>So anyone have any experience of the new S40/V50 with the
>2.0D?

I had one of these as a loaner whilst my D5 S60 was in the garage.

I hated the car (although this may have been down to the level of trim) compared to my S60 but engine wise, it certainly did not hang about and felt a lot more "nimble" around town that mine. It handles quite nice too.

One thing I did notice though was the level of noise from the engine inside tha cabin.

But remember I was coming from an S60. Whilst on paper the 40 is bigger in some respects, it did not feel bigger. Indeed quite the opposite.