PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please V90 or V70

Wentworth
Feb 9th, 2005, 16:59
Hi All,

I currently own a much loved 945 with > 205k miles on the clock. Have been having discussions with the better half recently about chopping in both of our cars. Good news in that its Goodbye to the Focus at last! But I'm quite sorry to think about letting the 945 go. So the replacement has to put a BIG smile on my face. I'm considering either ....

97/98 V90 CD Lux 3.0 (204 bhp).

or...

97/98 V70 T5 CD 2.3 Turbo (240 bhp?)

I LOVE the 945 for space, safety and comfort. I have to say it lacks a bit in power and the interior is a bit dated... so I would want a higher spec car with a lot more pulling power. I wouldn't exactly describe myself as a boy racer, like to have power for motorway cruising and decent acceleration when needed though. Volvo Estate is a given. I would prefer less than 100k miles with the intention of keeping for 5 years.

I have not yet driven either of these cars, just wanted to get your thoughts on these or maybe other options I haven't considered.

At this stage it is just food for thought, I'm not that keen on selling the old girl (in fact I find just writing this post a bit depressing!). Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.

deanrosc
Feb 9th, 2005, 17:25
hiya paul,

i'd love either car. i think the v90 maybe a bit more luxurious than the t5. i know its not much help but i'd love the v90, purely on looks. don't be put off by the "if its not a t5 its no good" brigade.you'll get a cracking car either way,but the v90 is like driving a stately home.

George Holmer
Feb 9th, 2005, 18:32
Both are cracking. The T5 is a more potent, faster car of course and the V90 more of a crusier. Myself I would go for the V90 as I am more of a luxury kind of guy. Be warned, however, that the V70 is nowhere near as spacious as the 945 you have now.

1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto

migrator
Feb 9th, 2005, 21:09
The V70 would be the power option but as has been said already, the internal space (compared with what you have) would not be so good. I have not driven the V70 so cannot comment on the comfort or performance. I have owned the V90 CD. This had plenty of space, plenty of comfort with lots of goodies (it was an ex demonstrator) and also a surprising turn of power when required. This really was some luxury cruising and given a choice I would certainly go for the V90 again.

Al115
Feb 9th, 2005, 23:09
My father has the end-of-range 960 (not dissimilar to the V90, but then again not dissimilar to your 945) and I have a V70 T5.

Comparisons - the T5 is a world more "fun" than the 960 - the 960 feels a lot more "lux" (and larger, and more solid, and a little more "barge"-like...)

Now that we've both had time to impart our individuality on the cars, the differences are more apparent... mine has a very solid ride, and my dad's has a much better stereo. Each to their own!

You say you're after "a lot more pulling power"... that's got to be the T5! :-)

Alastair
----------------------------
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/photopost/data/500/357v70-sig.jpg

ivor940
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:37
Agree with Atistairs post, but would add also consider the turning circle which is much better on V90. Also , will you be doing any work on car yourself, or getting it done by others. I think the V90 will be easier to work on as DIY. If your driving has lots of A roads ( and few speed cameras) the V70 would probably be more driving fun. If you have lots of speed cameras in your area, go for the V90.

ivor940
94 940 2.0 SE Turbo Estate 149.7k 5 spr

VOC member

sarge
Feb 10th, 2005, 08:41
The other big difference is that the V90 is RWD and the V70 FWD - perhaps that would influence your decision? In terms of luxury I would agree that the V90 looks and feels the more luxurious but a high spec V70 has all the same equipment.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD

Al115
Feb 10th, 2005, 10:51
Wouldn't a RWD V70 be nice!

Alastair

roy chu1
Feb 10th, 2005, 10:57
It depends on your driving style. I have a v70 T5 and I think it is great, I also like to gun it sometimes and it does what it is told.
The v70 is a lot smaller than the v90, I have not seen a estate car bigger than a 940 / v90 to this time.

Both cars have safety, durability but if it is space you are after the v90 wins, also it feels a lot more solid.

The T5 is a performance car, the V90 is a comfortable cruiser. And with 2.5 or 3.0ltr of power, it will not hang about of the mark. The auto gearbox is very smooth. When we see the volvo stretched cars, they are only made from the 960 range, what does this tell you?

But it is up to you, find out how much you might miss having a turbo, then see if you want a T5.

Roy

ivor940
Feb 10th, 2005, 13:22
Also the V70 can be had with 4 Wheel drive but not the V90. Here in Ireland, engine size matters with 3.0 V90 much more expensive than 2.4 V70 for road tax. It may not matter in UK.

ivor940

ivor940
Feb 10th, 2005, 13:29
Forgot to add to last reply that I note the 900 / v90 forum has 886 topics and 4,966 messages while the 850 / 70 series has 2,740 topics and 16,615 messages. There are a further 1,350 topics ( 11,087 messages) for Performance Cars. Is the V90 more reliable than V70?

ivor940

Al115
Feb 10th, 2005, 13:38
a) probably,
and
b) there are more V70s than V90s, hence more posts!

Or maybe '70 owners are just more verbose??

Alastair

migrator
Feb 10th, 2005, 23:04
.. and I bet he has no squirrels either }(

ivor940
Feb 11th, 2005, 08:16
As regards interior space, the V70 may have slightly more useable volumn in boot with seats up and parcel shelf in place ( as its shelf is higher than a 940 ) unless the V90 shelf is higher than a 940. With the shelf folded or the seats down, the V90 beats the V70.

ivor 940

Al115
Feb 11th, 2005, 08:29
Very sharp! No the squirrels avoided the 960 for some reason :-)

Wentworth
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:41
Thanks to all for the replies.

I'm not going to rule out the V70, but the comments about space, solidity and the perception of luxury have helped me to be clearer about what it is I want.

I'm not completely biased against FWD, but I prefer RWD.
I need space for wife, two (nearly three!) children, and dog.
I intend to do all work on the car myself.
I LOVE the small turning circle on the 945.
There are too many speed cameras everywhere!
My driving is currently a mix of shortish urban and motorway, but the motorway driving will increase.
I must be reaching middle age because the "smooth luxury" is more appealing than "hard performance".

Next stage is to get out and test drive both cars. V90's seem to be pretty rare though.

Cheers,
Paul.

ivor940
Feb 11th, 2005, 14:05
Dont forget to check out buying Southern Irish one ( as Road Tax makes people sell the 3.0 engine ones cheaper) . "BUYANDSELL.IE" and "AUTOTRADER.IE" are wothh keeping an eye on. If I come across any for sale, I will pass on info.

Brgds
ivor940

PEGE63
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:16
I have driven all the V70's incl the latest one and they are very good but the turning circle puts me off. Its back to the 945 all the time. V90's are probably quite rare but do not dismiss the late 945's, the 98 'Celebration' was nice with half leather,a bit of wood trim and a/c etc, they are quite different from the earlier cars, loads about in Autotrader for good prices and as we all know, they are well built and will probably outlive the others. My 2.3 LPT does move well considering the BHP and weight of car. If I had space and money I'd buy another one to put away as my 'next car'.

Ginger_Monkey
Feb 20th, 2005, 12:11
Hi,

I've had both cars, a low mileage (30k) V70 Classic T5 a few years ago and I currently own a '96 960 CD with 90k on the clock (so almost a V90). To be honest, and I don't want to start a fight on this forum, I thought the T5 was absolutely crap and I adore my 960: the T5 experience put me off of Volvos for several years.

Admittedly this opinion is a affected by emotion, as I had looked forward to getting my 'dream car' for so long, and then spending £14,000 on a car whose interior build quality was poor and whose auto-gearbox went west at 33k miles! I tried to fit a different radio and found that all the plastic dash mounting screws/bolts/threads etc were very weak.

Also, in my opinion, the car has too much power for front wheel drive which ends in loads of torque-steering everywhere. The metal bodywork is too thin as it seemed to get more dinks in a few months than any other car I've owned.

On the other hand, I've had the interior (including dash and headlining) out of my 960 to solve a leaky sun roof and do a few other jobs and found the build quality bordering on 240 standards!

I'm not a FWD/RWD snob because I will almost certainly buy a new style V70 when I can afford one.

Wentworth
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:13
To Everyone who contributed with thoughts and suggestions.

THANK YOU !! :)

I greatly appreciate your comments. They helped me come to what I think is the right decision:

I drove my gorgeous shiney new V90 home last night. ;)

I test drove a V90 first and as deanrosc said it was like driving a stately home... pure luxury. Unortunately, I didnt move quickly enough and the dealer sold it from under me, despite having a £500 deposit.

Finding more V90's was getting tough and I test drove a few V70 CD's... a 2.5 NA in gorgeous condition, which was a bit too staid, a 2.4 LPT which definitely had more going for it, but wasnt quite what I was looking for.

And then, finally, the T5. What can I say apart from WOW! I have a new found respect for Volvo Performance cars now.

In the end, the T5 that was within my price range was a bit too unloved and I listened to the Voices and walked away. I then drove the V90 and that was it.

The truth is if I could afford it I would buy the V90 AND the T5. Oh well, maybe next year!

Cheers,
Paul.

Mav_UK
Apr 22nd, 2005, 10:38
Well done - hope you enjoy it!

Stu