PDA

View Full Version : V50 General : - creaking drivers seat

iandonnadnjess
Jul 30th, 2011, 10:16
hi has any one else got a creaking drivers seat ?? every time i go round a roundabout it creaks ,, its driving me nuts ,, ive only had the car a month or so , ive had a look for loose bolts etc , it seems to be the joint between the seat and the backrest area ?? any idea , help!!

Daim
Jul 30th, 2011, 10:46
It is the WHIPS mechanism. There are two choices:

1. change the seat frame - costs cash and no garanty, that it won't come back.

2. grease the seat frame (WHIPS mechanism) - works, holds a service interval or two and is very cheap (my dealership does it for free).

iainmd
Jul 30th, 2011, 11:03
I find graphite marine lube on the seat frame and mechanism to be better than grease. It last longer and causes less mess.

Iain

2.4TSE
Jul 30th, 2011, 12:49
My wife's driver's seat has this issue, so glad to hear there is a simple fix. Is it just a matter of running the seat to the forward or rear extreme of movement, greasing, and then running it backwards and forwards a few times before reverting to the normal position please?

In the small off chance that it makes any difference; the seat in question has the power option and is not moved manually.

Ta.

Daim
Jul 30th, 2011, 13:26
I find graphite marine lube on the seat frame and mechanism to be better than grease. It last longer and causes less mess.

Iain

Well, I was hoping "grease frame" was understandable as "lubricate frame" but yeah, grease is very dirty and yuck. Easier with a proper durable graphite lube.

PhiljClay
Jul 30th, 2011, 19:58
I sprayed the two brackets at the back with wd40 6 months ago and not had it since.

Daim
Jul 30th, 2011, 20:00
I have mine done when I take my car in for service... Once a year is more than enough...

iandonnadnjess
Aug 1st, 2011, 02:30
thanks chaps ill give it a try

BenB
Aug 1st, 2011, 20:42
Sorry to be dumb, but are we talking about greasing the seat runners? I tried feeling around for the sips bar and tried greasing all I could think of but it still creaks! Precisely which bit under the seat needs greasing??! It sounds like the springs of the seat!

jcpreston22
Oct 21st, 2011, 16:14
Hello it sounds as if I have the same problem. As I take a corner left or right if there are sufficient g-forces I will hear the seat creak and feel the springs in the lumbar of your back kindda twang. Iwill try greasing but really need quite specific instructions if possible. Any info gratefully received
Thanks
John

kebab10
Oct 21st, 2011, 17:26
I haave been using Silicone spray fromToolstation which is pretty cheap and seems to do the job. Just give everything the seat runs on a good spray and do that every few months or when the noise comes back. Takes 5-10 mins and not a lot of mess.

jcpreston22
Oct 21st, 2011, 17:44
I have done that on the base, runner screw thread. It seems to be the hinge mechanism. I seem to have some side play in the back of the seat relative to the base so as you lean as you turn the seat back moves slightly laterally. I cant see how the back is fixed relative to its frame and the base.

Do you know if there are any maintenance diagrams anywhere?

paul3346
Oct 21st, 2011, 20:53
Just a suggestion. If you had a hip replacement on NHS it may be worth your while checking out which manufacturer supplied the replacement. I have heard that some can click when turning or sitting down! could this match your sound problem?
Paul ...............:thumbs_up:

benf
Oct 22nd, 2011, 01:27
Just a suggestion. If you had a hip replacement on NHS it may be worth your while checking out which manufacturer supplied the replacement. I have heard that some can click when turning or sitting down! could this match your sound problem?
Paul ...............:thumbs_up:

lol :P Just give the runners a bit of an oil ?

paul3346
Oct 22nd, 2011, 20:03
benf...............

prefer a straight malt!!!!!!!!!
Paul :thumbs_up: