PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Help!

Daniel M
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:07
Hi people.

I know this is a general forum, but i thought i'd offer it up to wider audience because i really really want to solve this...

Just a general question really. I don't understand. I put £30 petrol in my car on Friday, i've covered 157 miles. The needle is only showing about 5mm above the red today. That's without booting it everywhere, thats without alot of 'starting and stopping' around town driving too. I don't get it. Anybody got any ideas as to what could be going on?

Also, don't know if it's worth mentioning, but my petrol needle seem's to be very sluggish. On my old 440, turn the ignition and the needle would pop up to it's correct place in about 10 seconds, but this one, no. Takes the needle about 5 minutes, and even then it doesn't seem to look high enough for the amount of petrol i've put in. Checked all the wires behind the dash to make sure they are ok (because my teperature gauge never seems to budge either!)-so i'm not really sure where to go after that.... And petrol is only 79.1p p/l, so it's not like i'm not getting any petrol for my money! Oh, and so you know, it's a B20f (2.0i) engine, and it's only covered 87k...

Any help/advice/cheap engine transplants would be much appreciated....

Cheers,
Dan 'When will the problems ever end'M!

bigandquick
Mar 7th, 2005, 12:05
Easiest thing to try before anything else is to go to the garage, refill with fuel and see how much you've really used. This will confirm/exclude your concerns over poor consumption. There's no point worrying until you know your fuel gauge is correct.

cootuk
Mar 7th, 2005, 20:32
You really need to brim the tank full, run it, then brim the tank full again to make sure you get an accurate mileage vs fuel consumed.
Obviously you can't rely on the gauge.

Daniel M
Mar 7th, 2005, 23:45
Ok...

Cheers guy's, i'll give that a go. Stuck in a tenner tonight and it whipped up to ust over half a tank....think i'll fill it up to the max tomorrow and see how i get on.

Cheers for that....

Dan M