PDA

View Full Version : Integrated GSM Phone

anj
Mar 8th, 2005, 22:51
Help

I am nearly at my wits end with my V70 D5SE Its always going wrong & its out of warranty due to the mileage. Its an 02. The latest thing is the integrated phone. I use aphone all day and this is one of the reasons I purchased this individiual car some 2.5 years ago as an ex Volvo demonstarator. This is the latest in a very long line of problems - the phone has now packed in. The latest software has been downloaded; no result. The next step is a new phone £750 ish + software download of £9.50. Does any one have any ideas where I could get this item fixed?? The alternative is fitting of a hands free kit from Nokia or someone. It seems such a waste!! I can't justify this money (or afford) on a phone.

Yours

Hopeful!

Peter Milnes
Mar 8th, 2005, 23:38
The phone is not made by Volvo so you should take up it's demise with the manufacturer of the phone. Could it be your ownership of the car that is causing the aleged faulty behaviour? If you do not want the car and it is your own then may I suggest that you let me have it as a donation.

All the best, Peter.

tonyflynn1
Mar 8th, 2005, 23:42
Burn it.

Burn the phone first

fwb44
Mar 9th, 2005, 00:16
Sorry but is this some sort of ****-take? This woman has some problems - do you have problems with women? Can't you be more helpful?

fwb44
Mar 9th, 2005, 00:19
Sorry anj - just double-checked and you're not a woman after all - sorry guys to impugn your masculinity - but still think you could be more helpful

MinorCollision
Mar 9th, 2005, 19:08
My suggestion would also be to take it up with the phone manufacturer. I first saw the integrated phone in my brother-in-laws T5 and was stunned when I find out how much they cost. Halfrods are now doing the hands-free wired in solution (sound coming over the speakers) for 49.99 rather than 99.99. Seems a snip to me, and will, I would have thought, off almost exactly the same functionality. Cut your losses and go for that.

anj
Mar 9th, 2005, 19:27
Hi Francis

Sorry mate this is no **** take in fact I am really f***ing well ****ed off - So would you be with a car like this. What part of the question cant you understand? I want to know is there an other option to the main dealer part for £750 for a phone module, we live in a throw away society where this is extended to our car parts where we no longer repair bits just replace them.

Yours
even more hopefull,
(despite being a little ****ed off at the quality of the answers)

fwb44
Mar 9th, 2005, 19:28
Did anyone see 'Sideways' recently - in the restaurant Jack gives Miles the earnest advice: 'Don't drink and dial' when he's thinking of calling his ex-wife. I must remember: 'Don't drink and post'. I won't do it again.

fwb44
Mar 9th, 2005, 19:42
Don't misunderstand me - I thought you were getting the p*** taken out of you when you posted your phone problem - £750 is outrageous for a new phone module - whereabouts do you live, I might know someone local who could look at it

anj
Mar 13th, 2005, 20:53
Hi No offence taken - But I am in the process of writing to the managing director of Volvo Car Uk a chap called Hugh Reid - stating all my problems and telling him why after 3 Volvos I don't think I will be buying another one. The fact is I like them and cant afford to change it at present.
I Live in Yorkshire, but travel the country I will take the car to someone to have a look at the GSM phone wherever they may be.

Kind Regards

Alex

George Holmer
Mar 13th, 2005, 22:09
The trouble is, the problem with the phone is probably something silly but hard to find thing and will cost the earth to repair simply becuase of the fault tracing process. Unless you can find an electronics engineer familiar with these phones and systems, you will have problems sorting this. The dealers have little knowledge and so their solution will be to replace the whole unit.

I cannot see any simple solutions.

------------------------------
1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto +170k
1991 Volvo 945 GL Auto +150k
1989 Volvo 765 Turbo Auto +150k
1988 Volvo 745 GL +220k

Networkguy
Mar 13th, 2005, 22:55
A couple of things come to mind here.

1. Don't expect any Volvo dealer to have a clue how to fix this. There is a very good chance that Volvo UK have never given them this information so to them it's just another slot in box.

2. There is an option though assuming you can't get the thing fixed. If you have a working phone kit, you will have all the wiring and electronics in place to substitute it for a handsfree kit of your choice (including bluetooth if you want). Now you will loose the the text message display on the dash but in return you can have a nice pop out cup holder where the old keypad used to be.

The entire cost of this should be less than £100 :)

fwb44
Mar 13th, 2005, 23:00
A mate of mine is an auto-electrician by trade & a whizz when it comes to this sort of stuff. I will run your problem by him & see what he says. If he can come up with something, we are in Cambridge if you're ever this way

anj
Mar 27th, 2005, 20:54
Hi your suggestion is what I have resorted to - Just awaiting the cup holder.

Confirms my new mission in life to put unsuspecting fools off buying what are basically poor products!

fwb44
Mar 27th, 2005, 21:27
for which read ... volvos