PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for censorship

cootuk
Mar 25th, 2005, 08:40
"The ability of users of internet bulletin boards to remain anonymous was placed in serious doubt yesterday after Terry Smith, chief executive of City firm Collins Stewart Tullett, won a landmark libel settlement."

"Mr Smith and his firm won "substantial" damages from Jeremy Benjamin, a fund manager who posted false allegations on the Motley Fool web site using the invented web name "analyser71".
"As well as undisclosed damages, Mr Benjamin has agreed to pay the claimants' legal costs, which are understood to be three times as much. "
The Guardian

Enough said....

Bob
Mar 25th, 2005, 10:30
This highlights the many reason for:

Having a Code of Conduct.
Forum users to adhere to it.
Forum moderators to deal with posts that do not comply.
All users to register with a valid email address.

I don't think a fictitious user name is a problem as the forum administrator can trace it back to the users account. The police have the power to obtain those details, and this could have happened with us just over a year ago after someone placed a racist statement on one of our forums and someone took offence to it.

Having a 'web' or 'screen' name has become a part of the Internet culture, and I don't think that can be changed.

The real problem is free email accounts such as Hotmail. Anyone can sign up and you cannot be easily traced. Now that is something that needs to be dealt with. Many forums do not allow users of Hotmail, Yahoo and other similar account to be able to register in order to avoid problems, and it works. Most people have an address provided by thier ISP so why not use it.

Bob

don kalmar union
Mar 25th, 2005, 11:07
Good morning Conrad,

There is, I believe, a confusion between the terms censorship and moderation,.

I would have used the term sensorship,in terms of the role of a moderator,as being where a moderator removes posted material because it contains views, facts, opinions etc. that are not, in themselves in any way offensive or against the agreed rules, but contravene interests of theirs, those of the owner of the site or just their plain prejudices or those of other parties.

The role of a moderator, in my view, is solely to maintain good order with reference to the rules. Subtle editing, warnings etc. and of course having a reponsibility to protect the interests of the site owner in regard to the law.

On the question of anonymity on the web, where it is indeed allowed: when it comes to questionable postings, then the moderator must surely ask the person in question to reveal themselves.

Presumably, in this case the site owner must have revealed the offending party, maybe even having been joined in the action which UK law now supports.

There are many issues here where the law is quickly being made clear in terms of the liabilities of site owners and web hosts.

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME engineered software UK distributor.

cootuk
Mar 25th, 2005, 11:46
I'll agree with that Don.

I think it is just a timely reminder that before posting people should 'think twice, post once' rather like the old craft addage of 'measure twice, cut once'.

don kalmar union
Mar 25th, 2005, 11:54
I am occasionally guilty!

Mind you, we can allways edit at leisure.

Act in haste....repent at leisure comes to mind,

Don.Norchi.

www.kalmar-union.com

TME engineered software UK distributor.

cootuk
Mar 25th, 2005, 16:53
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/24/motley_ruling/

Even with editing, the interesting thing to note is that the offending article was viewed on 49 computers, and the complaint included that these 49 could have passed the information to a wider audience or have been influential people themselves.

Briberlisher
Apr 9th, 2005, 22:02
Too many people think that they are anonymous on the web and thus behave in a manner that they would not contemplate face to face.Everybody is, or, should be, responsible for their action. This case is a timely reminder of that fact. Incidentally, what's the betting that the offender was doing it in company time?
briber

mal201
Apr 9th, 2005, 23:48
Very true however some people are very timid and can only voice their opinion in a way that previously was unavailable to them. It is also correct that people who post or use the web or e mail should be responsible for their actions. I believe big buisinesses are however dumbing down the free speech that the web gives us and i have been intimitated twice (legal threats) by major companies as i dared to copy my e-mail to a third party in an attempt to gag me.

Yes to censorship and good moderation within forums of which i believe the Volvo one gives - and having viewed the financial forums small wonder that soemone got their panties in a twist.

Perhaps there should be a vigorous code of ethics regarding forums and the like and personnal e-mails i dont know, but what we all know is this...Democracy invloves freedom of speech.

Briberlisher
Apr 10th, 2005, 14:46
Freedom, yes. But freedom has responsibilities, something that too many people choose to forget.
briber

gnhuk
Apr 10th, 2005, 19:26
Self censorship is the best way and I practice this, if I don't feel I can post under my own i.d. I don't post, but some people feel the cloak of anonymity provided by the internet gives them a free reign to say anything. It is because of these morons that censorship has to exist.

I do, however, occasionally post something (I'm a contributor to several forums on an assortment of subjects that interest me) to "rattle cages" but never in a rude way. The last time I did this I didn't get a reaction from the person I expected but it was still amusing (it was on site run by local anti bypass protestors - they gave up with it because the pro brigade sort of took it over).

Having said that I do know of forums where individuals are persecuted and censored just because some people disagree/dislike with whatever they have to say. This is just petty.

Alasdair Mackay
Jun 21st, 2005, 19:39
Its a funny old world. Please be carefull what you say in any web situation as all Forums on the internet are monitored, it is alleged, If I give advice to any member of the public on any architectural matter I am considered responsible for that advice should it be wrong I can be sued. There are a lot of web cases coming up before the Courts later this year and next year. I am waiting to emigrate to the planet Zol.
S80T6
VOC member

drivesavolvo
Jun 21st, 2005, 21:35
I feel i must warn you about the planet Zol. The crime rate is not as low as it states in the club volvo brochure. I can assure you, having worked there as a purple coat, that the crime rate is 95% higher than Beirut.

also the food is awful. its all maccyburgers and stew of leftovers.

dont risk it mate your better off going to szloppyland on artklop. cheap comfortable and instant death rays for most crimes as the occur.