PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio

markus3857
Mar 31st, 2005, 09:30
Can anyone plesae assist me in my quest to solve a small dilema!

I have recently purchased my first Volvo V70 1999 XLT Est. the problem i have is the car has a factory fitted Radio Casstte and i wish to install a CD radio player, keep my daughters happy!! only i am concerned with it having a factory fitted RC and all the gubbins that goes with it i may not be able to! Can any one please advise?

Thank you
Mark:-)

5lab
Mar 31st, 2005, 09:33
if its just a cd player you want thne the easiest solution would probably be to fit a volvo one, which would mean that all the connections still owrk

bigandquick
Mar 31st, 2005, 10:08
Most car audio retailers will be able to supply a replacement wiring harness which will fit between your new unit and the existing car wiring.
If the aperture is a different size there are mounts/surrounds available too.
Find a good audio supplier and they'll help you out with all of that, even fit it if you want. There are always offers around for free fitting too.

migrator
Mar 31st, 2005, 20:21
What is the model number of the fitted radio/cassette? It may be that it can suport a Volvo CD changer unit with just the addition of a cable. If the unit is double din size then a change to a unit like the SC-805 would be a swop option, This one has a single CD slot and the capability to control a 6 CD changer unit. The SC-901 is the same double size and has a built in cartridge for three CDs. It can also control a separate 6 CD changer unit. I am about to change the factory option on my old 760 to an SC-801 with an ALPINE CHM-S620 changer unit. The SC-801 is a radio cassette only but is double din size. This type of conversion does require the addition of an adaptor because of the different wiring involved.

These types of head units and the changers are readily available on eBay

Mickey M
Apr 12th, 2005, 23:50
You all forget about the exorbitant cost of Volvo-branded audio units. I've given up on swapping my RC for a CDR for now, for that exact reason, as a non-Volvo unit would stick out stylistically, plus I've got loads of tapes which I'd never listen to again otherwise. That said, does anyone know good places for cheap, 2nd hand Volvo audio?

Mickey
S40 auto 1.8 petrol 1999 (dark blue)

blues60
Apr 13th, 2005, 00:19
I am not too familiar with Volvo audio kit being a bit of a newbie but I would have thought as your car is a '99 then your existing r/c unit should support a CD autochanger? All you then need to do is source one that would work with your head unit and you can leave the dash as it is. Either that or keep an eye on ebay as I have seen a couple of Volvo head units on there recently.
I would go to an independant car audio shop and discuss your dilemma with them as they may be able to suggest a solution without having to junk your existing unit.

Mickey M
Apr 13th, 2005, 09:33
Oh, I know they are interchangeable (if they are both single-size or both double-size units), it's the price they quote for new. Did you see anything 2nd hand (with CD and EON radio) for c.100 quid?

Mickey
S40 auto 1.8 petrol 1999 (dark blue)

blues60
Apr 14th, 2005, 19:55
Would this work with you head unit?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3289&item=5767147903&rd=1

Mickey M
Apr 17th, 2005, 01:31
It might, but I just want a straightforward CR Radio. Thanks anyway!

savanaman
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:22
Anyone know a place that sell second hand sc 805's for a v70.

CTCNetwork
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:28
HI,

You can try Salvo, as they may have one. Do mail order as well.
Linky (http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/salvosite.htm)....

Des. . . ;)

sarge
Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:29
E-bay is a good source or some of the volvo breakers. I wont mention names but there are a number referred to in other posts. The ALPINE CHM-S620 six disc changer is also compatible with many Volvo head units and can be fitted in the glovebox. It's a fairly cost effective way of providing CD capability.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD:Dancing_chief:

peteS40
Aug 24th, 2006, 17:50
Depending on the age of the car you may / may not have an issue with the connectors. If your car is newer/older than the vehicles which were supplied with the SC-805 as standard then you will prob. find all the wiring connectors and aerial are different. Well I found that with my S40.

If you car is newer then you can get an "adaptor" kit from volvo for "old style" stereos, but if it is the other way round then you prob need to re-wire it yourself (that's what I did). In fact I might post separately about that.

As it said in the thread you resurrected, if getting a non-volvo head unit then you can buy:
- audio connectors to convert volvo V70 to ISO-compatible connectors
- audio connectors to convert volvo v70 to (insert stereo manufacturer name here) connectors

Pete