PDA

View Full Version : Auto box

chriskay
Mar 31st, 2005, 11:32
Just looking for opinions here. When stationary, e.g. at traffic lights, & you know you're going to be stopped for some time, is it kinder to the box to leave it in gear & hold on the brakes, or to select neutral? I always thought the former, but I was criticised recently on an advanced driving course for doing this.
Cheers, Chris.

bigandquick
Mar 31st, 2005, 12:11
I always knock it in to neutral and put the handbrake on.
Firstly, it is kinder on the box and reduces fuel consumption.
Secondly, it allows all the brake discs to cool with no hot spots under the pads.
Thirdly, the guy behind isn't blinded by your brake lights.
Lastly, the examiner/instructor is right. It is correct to engage handbrake and select neutral when you are going to be stationary for any length of time.

grantbennett2
Mar 31st, 2005, 19:16
Would have though it was better to select neutral, so giving the clutch a rest. That is what i do .

rawmusic
Apr 1st, 2005, 19:24
...er....don't mean to teach my friend to suck eggs, but.....auto box....clutch....maybe you didn't read the heading :-)

I always used to feel guilty about the whole blinding the guy behind be at night when sat at traffic lights. I assume that whilst an autobox must be designed for being happy at sitting still and in Drive, selecting neutral and handbrake on takes away any risk of the foot coming off the brake and the car creeping forward.

I shall do this more often from now on, safe in the knowledge that an AIM instructor says so!

A friend also criticised me for "playing" with the gear lever too much. I like to drop down to 2nd 3rd manually in readiness for something like an overtaking manoeuvre or on the motorway. No need to really I guess. I do however think that it is a much safer bet to use the gearbox to help descend hills without relying totally on the brakes. I used to drive a manual, and this additional control is something I still miss a little bit.

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
VOC member

morsing
Apr 6th, 2005, 07:46
Mmm... Handbrake. I haven't used the handbrake in eleven years, since my driving instructor said "Pull the handbrake!".

I mainly select neutral for the "not blinding the people behind you" reason. I'm not sure what's best for the torque converter.