PDA

View Full Version : 100 quid for new V40 chipped key and remote locking remote... Good deal?

Mav_UK
Apr 14th, 2005, 14:36
Hey All,

Quick Q...

Just moved house, spent 50 quid on new locks for the doors and the next day I go and lose my car keys and door keys... Requiring another set of door locks at 50 quid and new keys for the V40. Cost break down as below...

Remote: 68 Euros
Key: 58 Euros
Programming: 15 euros

The 15 was to deprogram the car, then reprogram my wifes keys and my new keys.

Is this a good deal? Took 2 days for them to get the key (using my number plate)...

Stu

rawmusic
Apr 15th, 2005, 22:45
I recently bought a new fob for my older 850. The fob cost was bad enough that the garage let me in on the rocket science of reprogramming them by way of about 6 or 7 button pushes on the fob itself. When they supply the fob to you, insist on being there when they reprogram the key for you and then ask what the 15 euros was for. I am guessing of course that the system is the same for your car. It really took the guy 20 seconds to do it, and 15 of those was telling me how it worked.

Richard Whennell
855 T5 1995
VOC member

Mav_UK
Apr 18th, 2005, 08:27
I think the main thing is programming the key father than the fob... It took them about 10 mins to do...

I would have complained about the charge as I was originally told there would be none. But as the total bill was still 15 euros less than I was told originally, without the programming charge, I decided to live with it...

It's quite scary to me though that it can be programmed from the fob itself... How does this make the fobs secure...